Skip to main content

COVID-19 information - To learn about Auckland Council’s response to COVID-19 visit OurAuckland

Water restrictions in Auckland - Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn more

Te whakatopa UAV mō te tango whakaahua

Check if you need a permit to use a UAV for filming purposes

​UAV use in commercial filming

You need a permit to fly UAVs over public space or maunga for commercial filming purposes, such as:

  • film and television productions, including documentaries, TV shows and music videos
  • commercials
  • videos for the web
  • student films.

You need to get a permit for this.

For more information and costs, contact Screen Auckland.

UAV use for personal and non-commercial filming

You do not need a permit to film for personal and non-commercial use, such as:

  • wedding videos
  • birthday parties
  • building inspections.

Real estate companies have to make sure that drones used for filming should take off and land on private property.