Ture ā-Rohe mo ngā Tohu 2022
Signs Bylaw 2022
This bylaw provides for signs that protect people and environment. It includes rules for permanent and temporary signs on private and public property, including sign location, number, size, content and illumination.
What the Signs Bylaw does
This bylaw explains how signs can be used around Auckland.
It contains rules about signs on both private and public land, referring to their:
This bylaw contains:
- specific rules about free-standing, verandah, wall-mounted, window, portable, stencil, poster, banner, real estate, event, election and vehicle signs
- special rules for signs in major recreational facility zones and open space zones, in addition to signs about commercial sexual services
- general rules that apply to all signs about:
- changeable messages
- public safety
- movement of traffic and vessels.
What the Signs Bylaw does not do
This bylaw does not manage:
- signs not visible from a council-controlled public place, motorway or state highway (for example, signs on a shop only visible within a privately-owned shopping centre)
- signs on or over a motorway or state highway
- billboards regulated in the Auckland Unitary Plan
- certain instructional, regulatory, public wayfinding and educational signs (for example, information signs required by statute or for public safety or security)
- traffic control devices.
Get a copy of the Signs Bylaw and controls
Get a copy of the former sign bylaws
|Signs||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/signs||Signs||If you own a business and you want to put up a business sign, check which signs you are able to display in your area.||aspx||Signs|
|Rules for election signs||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/signs/Pages/rules-for-election-signs.aspx||Rules for election signs||Find out about rules on election and by-election signs on the Election Signs Bylaw 2022.||aspx||Signs|
|Our bylaws||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/bylaws||Our bylaws||Information about our bylaws, as well as how to report a breach.||aspx||Bylaw|
|Where you can put up a business sign||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/signs/where-you-can-put-up-business-sign||Where you can put up a business sign||Find out what rules apply to business signs.||aspx||Signs|
|How bylaws work||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/bylaws/Pages/what-are-bylaws.aspx||How bylaws work||What bylaws are and how we make them.||aspx||Bylaws and policies|
|Complain about a billboard or sign||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/signs/Pages/complain-about-billboard-or-sign.aspx||Complain about a billboard or sign||Report complaints and safety issues with billboards and signs to us.||aspx||Signs|
Is the information on this page helpful?
To ask for help or report a problem with our services or facilities, contact us.