Ture ā-Rohe Tiaki Kararehe 2015
Animal Management Bylaw 2015
The Animal Management Bylaw enables Aucklanders to own animals in a responsible way.
Changes to Animal Management Bylaw
We have recently reviewed this bylaw and made some changes.
The changes take effect from 20 December 2021.
Key changes include:
- incorporating rules from another bylaw to ensure the feeding of animals on private property does not cause a public nuisance
- updating the definitions, wording, structure and format of the Bylaw to make it easier to read and understand.
For more information on the decision to improve the Bylaw, visit AK Have your say.
What the Animal Management Bylaw does
The Animal Management Bylaw minimises impacts on animal owners' neighbours, protects public health and safety and prevents damage to land and property.
- requires every person who owns an animal to make sure it doesn't cause a nuisance or risk to public health and safety
- specifies responsible hive management standards for beekeeping in urban areas
- specifies standards for keeping chickens in urban areas
- limits the number of poultry that can be kept on properties smaller than 4000 square metres in an urban area
- requires anyone who wants to keep other stock - including pigs, sheep and goats - on properties smaller than 4000 square metres in an urban area to obtain a licence
- specifies responsible horse riding standards for public parks and beaches
- requires every person wanting to keep bees or graze stock in a public park to get permission from the council.
Get a copy of the Animal Management Bylaw
|Keeping other animals||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/dogs-animals/keeping-other-animals||Keeping other animals||Find out about keeping cats, bees, poultry, sheep, horses, and cattle. Apply for an animal licence.||aspx||Animal licences
|Make a complaint about a dog||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/dogs-animals/problems-dogs/Pages/make-complaint-about-dog.aspx||Make a complaint about a dog||Contact us to complain about bad dog behaviour.||aspx||Dogs|
|Report excessive dog barking||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/dogs-animals/problems-dogs/Pages/report-barking.aspx||Report excessive dog barking||Find out how you can make a complaint about dog barking and what happens when we receive a complaint about excessive barking.||aspx||Dogs|
|How to prevent a noise complaint||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/noise/Pages/prevent-noise-complaint.aspx||How to prevent a noise complaint||Things you can do to reduce noise and show consideration for your neighbours. To find out the noise levels permitted in your area, call 09 301 0101.||aspx||Noise|
|Complain about noise||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/noise/Pages/complain-about-noise.aspx||Complain about noise||How to complain about noise and what happens once your complaint has been made.||aspx||Noise|