Skip to main content
Voting in the 2022 local elections is closing this Saturday 8 October at 12 noon.
More Drop off your vote before it is too late. Learn moreVoting in the 2022 local elections is closing this Saturday 8 October at 12 noon.

Ture ā-Rohe Tiaki Kararehe 2015

Animal Management Bylaw 2015

The Animal Management Bylaw enables Aucklanders to own animals in a responsible way.

​Changes to Animal Management Bylaw

We have recently reviewed this bylaw and made some changes.

The changes take effect from 20 December 2021.

Key changes include:

  • incorporating rules from another bylaw to ensure the feeding of animals on private property does not cause a public nuisance
  • updating the definitions, wording,  structure and format of the Bylaw to make it easier to read and understand.

For more information on the decision to improve the Bylaw, visit AK Have your say.

What the Animal Management Bylaw does

The Animal Management Bylaw minimises impacts on animal owners' neighbours, protects public health and safety and prevents damage to land and property.

The bylaw:

  • requires every person who owns an animal to make sure it doesn't cause a nuisance or risk to public health and safety
  • specifies responsible hive management standards for beekeeping in urban areas
  • specifies standards for keeping chickens in urban areas
  • limits the number of poultry that can be kept on properties smaller than 4000 square metres in an urban area
  • requires anyone who wants to keep other stock - including pigs, sheep and goats - on properties smaller than 4000 square metres in an urban area to obtain a licence
  • specifies responsible horse riding standards for public parks and beaches
  • requires every person wanting to keep bees or graze stock in a public park to get permission from the council.

Get a copy of the Animal Management Bylaw

 Related topics



Keeping other animals other animalsFind out about keeping cats, bees, poultry, sheep, horses, and cattle. Apply for an animal licence.aspxAnimal licences Animals Stock Poultry Bees
Keeping livestock animals livestock animalsRules and requirements for keeping livestock, your legal responsibilities, and disposing of animal remains. aspxAnimals
Make a complaint about a dog a complaint about a dogContact us to complain about bad dog behaviour.aspxDogs
Report excessive dog barking excessive dog barkingFind out how you can make a complaint about dog barking and what happens when we receive a complaint about excessive barking.aspxDogs
How to prevent a noise complaint to prevent a noise complaintThings you can do to reduce noise and show consideration for your neighbours. To find out the noise levels permitted in your area, call 09 301 0101.aspxNoise
Complain about noise about noiseHow to complain about noise and what happens once your complaint has been made.aspxNoise