Skip to main content
COVID-19 Orange setting

For information about our services and facilities restrictions during the protection framework settings, see the COVID-19 section

For up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit

He aha te ture ā-rohe

How bylaws work

Bylaws are rules made by local councils which affect the way we live, work and play.

How we set bylaws

Auckland Council and Auckland Transport are the two bylaw-making authorities in Auckland.

Local boards and Watercare can propose bylaws but not make bylaws.

How we review bylaws

Bylaws are reviewed every five to ten years. This process involves public consultations to make sure our bylaws are useful and reflect what Aucklanders need.

Get a copy of the Auckland Bylaw Standard

We developed the Auckland Bylaw Standard to make sure we create bylaws that are easy to understand, use and maintain.

How we respond to bylaw issues

We investigate bylaw breaches that we see or that are reported to us.

Where appropriate, we use a range of compliance methods to respond to bylaw breaches.

These include:

  • advice and education
  • local business partnerships
  • issuing warnings and statutory notices
  • enforcement orders
  • infringement notices
  • prosecution.

If you want to report a bylaw breach, please contact us.

 Related topics



Report graffiti vandalism online graffiti vandalism onlineUse our online form to report graffiti that is visible from the roadside or footpath. If it is offensive, call us on 09 301 0101. Online formaspxCommunity and housing
Complain about a billboard or sign about a billboard or signReport complaints and safety issues with billboards and signs to us.aspxSigns
Report smoke and pollution from fires smoke and pollution from fires How to report smoke or pollution and what we can do about it. aspxOutdoor fires and fireworks
Report illegal rubbish dumping illegal rubbish dumpingFind out what is considered illegal rubbish dumping and how we deal with it.aspxDumping and littering