Focus area 4: Invest in and support Māori to meet their specific housing aspirations
Rohe arotahinga 4: Whakangao me te tautoko i ngā Māori ki te whakatutuki i o rātou manako whiwhi whare
Like all Aucklanders, Māori want to live in warm and secure homes. Māori want their homes to support the way they live and the activities they associate with a prosperous quality of life, especially culture, education and employment. Connectivity in terms of transport and technology are equally as important.
Having options for papakāinga or whānau-oriented housing that reflect te ao Māori, and support the ability to extend manaakitanga and strengthen whanaungatanga, is important.
Many Māori in Auckland live in homes that do not meet these aspirations. Housing choices can be limited by:
- access to employment and income
- access to savings and intergenerational equity
- not being able to access services, support, and bank lending on an equitable basis
- planning and regulatory barriers.
How this can be done
Māori have experienced particular housing stresses over many years. Housing-related services therefore need to be responsive and innovative in meeting Māori needs.
Ways to address this could include:
- improved integration of strategies, services, funding and products that support Māori housing needs and aspirations across all sectors
- focused policy settings that identify and respond to Māori housing needs at the local level
- ensuring Māori have access to affordable housing initiatives to promote community health, whānau stability and Māori social wellbeing
- leveraging off the work that the community and the Māori housing sector is already doing to create increased options and opportunities for housing for Māori
- ensuring regulatory and consenting processes are effective and responsive to Māori developers and iwi organisations
- tapping into the potential of Māori commercial enterprises from across New Zealand, some of which are already playing a key role in delivering housing
- aligning planning and housing development initiatives in Tāmaki Makaurau with MAIHI Ka Ora – the National Māori Housing Strategy.
More information about this outcome