Current smokefree areas
The areas that became smokefree since the policy was adopted are:
- all parks and reserves
- skate parks
- sports fields
- train stations and platforms, bus stations and shelters, and ferry terminals
- plazas, civic squares, shared spaces, urban centres
- areas around sports clubs on council land
- outdoor dining areas on public land
- common areas of council housing
- public outdoor areas associated with the council:
- service centres
- local board offices
- swimming pools
- community facilities and halls
- the zoo
- car parks
- leisure, recreation and arts centres
- some outdoor dining areas.
Hospitality venues and outdoor dining
Restaurants, cafes and bars with a licence to use the street pavement for their outdoor dining must make sure those spaces are smokefree.
We have a range of signs to let your customers know about the smokefree rule.
To order these signs, see Smokefree signage for outdoor dining licence holders.
Smokefree indoor areas
Smoking is banned in most indoor public places.
For complaints about smoking indoors, contact the Auckland Regional Public Health enforcement officers at 09 623 4600.
Smokefree Policy review 2016
The policy was reviewed in 2016, and the results of the review were presented to elected members at the Regional Strategy and Policy Committee meeting on 4 August 2016.
Following this review, we updated the policy and developed an implementation plan to provide greater focus and resources for smokefree initiatives.
Get a copy of the review