He takiwā tohatoha kei te Tirit o Galway
Galway Street shared space
About the Galway Street shared space project
As part of a programme to create shared spaces across the city centre, we are transforming Galway Street, located in the Britomart precinct.
What the shared space will achieve
The new shared space will deliver a safer environment for pedestrians, the disabled and vehicles.
It will include an upgraded footpath, easily accessible public space, new trees and additional seating.
Other benefits of the construction include:
- clearly defined zones for pedestrians and outdoor seating
- additional service ducts laid beneath the shared space on Gore Street, anticipating future Britomart development
- coordinating opening of shared space, Australis House and Nathan Building to tenants
- four Pohutukawa trees planted on Gore Street
- improved accessibility for the Britomart Transport Centre entrance in the Atrium on Takutai. This will continue to be the secondary entry point to the station during the City Rail Link works.
Our project partners
The project is a partnership between Auckland Council, Auckland Transport and Cooper & Co.