About the High Street transformation
In collaboration with Heart of the City and the High Street community, we are trialing ideas for improving High Street and exploring its future.
The High Street district has been seeking improvements to:
- the way rubbish is collected
- address traffic congestion
- make footpaths wider
- the delivery of goods and services
- make the street pedestrian-friendly.
We have budgeted $14 million for High Street between 2022-2024. Through this pilot we are exploring options that will help develop the street for the future, while minimising disruption.
The project is following a co-design process. We will evaluate and refine project stages with input from the community.
High Street will be developed in line with the Access for Everyone concept to create more space in the city centre.
For information on Access for Everyone, see the
City Centre Master Plan consultation.
Key project outcomes
The project aims to create a space where:
- people walking, riding bicycles and using other mobility equipment can move freely
- vehicle access is maintained for those that need to be there
- High Street remains a vibrant destination for people and businesses.
Scope of the project
- Reuse of space - such as reallocating car park space for pedestrian use, additional loading zones and mobility parking.
- Exploration of traffic access restrictions.
- Space for temporary activities.
- Integration with Victoria Street car park with opportunities for delivery of goods and services.
- Monitoring and research to evaluate how the pilot is progressing.
- Improving waste collection and removal.
We created a new layout plan in September 2019 in collaboration with the High Street community. The layout plan was refined following consultation with the High Street Pilot Project Reference Group.
The pilot project is split into three stages to be deployed over 9-12 months. Work on the first stage of the pilot area was completed on 15 October 2019.
Evaluation and monitoring, and ongoing engagement with the High Street community will continue throughout the pilot.
Access to the area
Stage one involved work on the section from Shortland Street to Vulcan Lane.
Stage two work will run from Vulcan Lane to Durham Lane and will likely commence from February 2020.
To learn more, contact:
09 301 0101
Heart of the City website for news and updates on High Street trials.
City Centre Master Plan consultation to have your say.