About the Ōtāhuhu town centre transformation
We are creating a new community heart for Ōtāhuhu by upgrading the streets. This will produce economic benefits and will create dramatic improvements to pedestrian and traffic movement.
Our goals for Ōtāhuhu are to:
- breathe new life into the area as an attractive urban centre
- accommodate future housing and job growth as proposed by the
Auckland Plan 2050
- revitalise the commercial main street with a high-quality pedestrian environment that is durable and maintainable
- create improved walking and cycling connections from Ōtāhuhu Station to the town centre
- deliver a greener town centre with more native trees and gardens
- reduce the existing flooding and stormwater issues.
Key project outcomes
- Create gathering spaces by upgrading Criterion Square, and new gateway spaces on Great South Road.
- Integrate cultural and historic narratives into the design.
- Improve safety for pedestrians by adding signals to the Princes Street intersection.
- Improve connectivity by constructing a shared path between the town centre and Ōtāhuhu Station.
- Improved quality of stormwater runoff through the use of rain gardens.
Project progress updates
The first stage of the upgrade works is now completed along Station Road. Contractors are now working on the Great South Road stages until mid-November.
For the safety of road users, pedestrians and work crews, you need to follow traffic signage and detours of temporary traffic management plans while works are occurring.
Due to the financial impacts of COVID-19 on Auckland Council, funding for the last stage of the upgrade of Great South Road between Mason Avenue and High Street is still under review.
For details about the progress of the works, temporary road changes and to sign up for updates, see John Fillmore Contracting Liminted (JFC Ltd.).
Ōtāhuhu town centre streetscape plans
The upgrade focuses on the main street of Ōtāhuhu, along Great South Road from Princes Street to Atkinson Avenue and Station Road.
Download the overview plan to find the sheet for the area you want to see in detail.