Skip to main content

Reta Takinga Kōrero mō te Kaupapa

Project Information Memorandum (PIM)

What is a PIM?

A PIM is a report we prepare that contains information about special features of the land and existing utility services on your property.

A PIM will also provide you with early notification of other required approvals, for example:
  • resource consents
  • Heritage New Zealand approvals
  • development contributions, if they apply.

A PIM is voluntary. It is not necessary to have one when applying for a building consent.

Our tip

Information about your site can influence your planning and design. To avoid surprises of additional consents and approvals which may cause unexpected costs and delays, apply for a PIM early on.

When you should get a PIM

You can apply for a PIM any time before you complete your application for a resource consent or building consent.

The best time to apply for a PIM is before starting preliminary design work, so that we can give you accurate information about the consents and approvals you may need.

What a PIM contains

A PIM includes information on special land features and required approvals, including:

  • erosion and land collapse or movement
  • falling debris
  • subsidence
  • slippage
  • alluvion (silt deposited as a result of flooding)
  • inundation (flooding)
  • presence of hazardous contaminants
  • information we've been given by any statutory organisation - such as the Heritage New Zealand or the Department of Conservation
  • stormwater or wastewater utility systems related to your proposed building work, or adjacent to your building site
  • authorisations under other Acts that we require, and requirements to be met in the granting of these authorisations and the conditions they will be subject to. The most common authorisations will be resource consents required under the Resource Management Act 1991.

A PIM will also include:

  • confirmation that you may carry out the building work (subject to the requirements of the building consent and all other necessary authorisations being obtained)
  • notification that you may not undertake building work.

Our tip

A PIM does not give any form of approval under the Building Act or Auckland Unitary Plan.

Why a PIM is useful

Your PIM will tell you all the consents, approvals and geotech reports you need for your consent application.

Having this information to give to your designers and builders makes the application process more efficient.

What you need to apply for a PIM

The more information you give us about your project, the better guidance we can give you.

Examples of the kind of information we need are:

  • drawings and plans that have the:
    • drawing date, number and title
    • designer's name
    • address of property
  • the location and external dimensions of the proposed and existing buildings
  • proposal to dispose of stormwater and wastewater
  • precautions to be taken if work is proposed close to existing drains, sewers, wells and water mains
  • volumes of proposed disturbed earth
  • location, dimension and gradient of parking, manoeuvring, and vehicle crossing
  • areas of impermeable surfaces
  • location and size of outdoor living and service courts
  • locations of streams, lakes and wetlands and their riparian margins (protected vegetation)
  • position of protected trees or vegetation
  • height in relation to boundary controls and maximum height controls.

The application should also include:

  • approvals from Heritage New Zealand if applicable
  • a project description that is accurate and describes all work involved in the project
  • evidence of ownership or rights over the property and if you are not the owner, authorisation to apply for a consent

We may ask for further information, depending on your building proposal.

PIM fee

Fees are indicative only and are subject to change.

Read fee table.
Issuing Project Information Memorandum (PIM) - Base fee (non-refundable, additional charges may apply)$497

​Apply for a PIM

The more information you can provide in your PIM application about your project, the more comprehensive information can be supplied by council.


See Ways to pay online for information on all payment options.

​Apply for a PIM

We only accept online applications for building consents. If you are unable to apply digitally, visit one of our libraries with council services for assistance in making your online application.

If there is no way to provide digital copies of your plans or documents, our staff will accept your hard copies via post or in person for an additional charge. The charge covers costs involved for us to scan your documents into our digital consent system.

Call us on 09 301 0101 to speak with our building and planning help desk if you have questions regarding your application.

What happens next

We must process PIMs within 20 working days. However, if we need additional information, we will stop the clock until we receive the information.

Once we receive the information, we must issue the PIM must within a maximum period of 10 working days. or less, if the clock has already gone beyond 10 working days.


 Related topics



Consider stormwater when building stormwater when buildingIf you are doing any sort of development, one of the factors you need to consider is stormwater. Find out what you need to know about stormwater before you begin.aspxStormwater
What can I do in my zone? can I do in my zone?Find out how to check your property zone and the different activities allowed in your zone. Includes information on different housing zones.aspxPlanning zones
What is a consent and do you need one? is a consent and do you need one?Find out what a resource consent and a building consent are, and how to check if you need one.aspxBuilding consents Resource consents
What is a Land Information Memorandum (LIM)? is a Land Information Memorandum (LIM)? A LIM report is a summary of information that we hold on a property. aspx
What is a property file? is a property file?Information on what is included in a property file. aspxProperty file
Add a record of exempt building work to a property file a record of exempt building work to a property fileFind out how to place a record of work you believe to be exempt from a consent, on your property file. aspxBuilding and consents