Skip to main content

E tono Tiwhikete Whakamahi ā-Tūmatanui

Apply for a Certificate for Public Use (CPU)

If you want to let the public use a building before we issue a code compliance certificate, you must apply for a Certificate for Public Use.

What is a Certificate for Public Use?

Public premises can only be occupied if a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) has been issued or a CPU is in place. It is an offence to occupy or use a building without either a CCC or CPU. These certificates may apply to all or part of a building.

You can apply for a CPU when a consent has been granted for building work in a building that is to be used by the public, but no code compliance certificate has been issued yet.

This certificate enables the public to use the premises until a CCC is granted.

Anyone who owns, occupies or controls premises intended for public use can apply for a CPU.



Apply now

We only accept online applications for this certificate. If you are unable to apply digitally, visit one of our libraries with council services for assistance in making your online application.

Call us on 09 301 0101 to speak with our building and planning help desk if you have questions regarding your application.

​CPU fees

* Fees are indicative only and are subject to change.

Read fee table.
Description Base Fee

​What happens next

If you are working to a deadline and you think you may not receive your CCC in time, contact us to discuss a CPU application.

The more notice you can give us, the more chance that we can assess your application in time for your deadline.

We will issue a certificate only if we are satisfied that the public can use the site safely. This is likely to involve an inspection.

You still have to apply for a code compliance certificate after all the building work has been carried out.

Legally, we have 20 working days to process a CPU application. We aim to process the CPU as quickly as possible.

 Related topics



How to order a property file to order a property fileFind out how to order a property file and how much it costs.aspxProperty file
Documentation to collect as you go to collect as you goFind out what documentation you need to collect throughout your project.aspxBuilding and consents
Engage a professional to help with your consent application or project a professional to help with your consent application or project The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website has information about getting professional help to prepare your resource consent application. aspxResource consents
Place a third party (safe and sanitary) report on your property file a third party (safe and sanitary) report on your property fileFind out what a third party report is and how you can place it on your property file. We are not liable for the contents of the report nor any representations made with in the report. aspxBuilding and consents
Certificate of Compliance (CoC) of Compliance (CoC)Find out what a Certificate of Compliance is and what you need to apply.aspxBuilding and consents
Apply for a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) for a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC)Find out when and how to apply for a Code Compliance Certificate. aspxBuilding and consents