Skip to main content

2. Talk to your neighbours

Agree with your neighbours before the work starts

Our tip

If your fence is close to a boundary, and you have the written approval from your neighbours, you can apply for a Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity.
This application replaces the need to apply for a resource consent.
You will still need to apply for a building consent, if required.

You should talk to your neighbours before you construct, alter or replace a fence on a common boundary.

If you would like your neighbours to contribute to the costs, you will need to:

  • discuss this with them
  • agree on the type of fence, its construction and the costs.

If you and your neighbours are in agreement, you should put the terms you've agreed on in writing and sign.

It's normal for costs to be shared equally for a realistic proposal, but you can arrange a different option.

If you cannot reach an agreement, then you may have to progress issues under the Fencing Act 1978 (Section 10).

Even if you don’t need a building consent, your fence may still be affected by the rules in the district, regional and Unitary plans. This means that it may require a resource consent.

Get more information about building a fence

Contact us