Skip to main content

He pānui oati i ngā mahi kua whakaaetia e pā ana ki ngā ara kauhoe ika kua pātahitia e ngā hanganga

Notice of undertaking a permitted activity related to fish passage affected by structures

The National Environmental Standards for Freshwater (NES-F) regulate structures affecting the passage of fish within rivers or areas connected by water.

​When you need to provide the NES-F notice

The placement, use, alteration, extension, or construction of a structure in, on, over or under the bed of any river or connected area may be a permitted activity if it complies with the NES-F.

A permitted activity notice is required for any of the following structures:

  • culverts
  • weirs
  • flap gates (passive and non-passive)
  • dams
  • river or stream fords
  • aprons and ramps.

Fish passage refers to the ability of fish to move unobstructed through waterways.

How to provide the NES-F notice

Notice needs to be provided by the person(s) or company carrying out the work within 20 working days after the activity has been completed.

Email the completed notice and any supporting documents to

You should know

This document does not take the place of a resource consent application. Your permitted activity may still require resource consent. Find out more about preparing your resource consent application.
If you need resource consent due to the sensitivity of the local environment, matters of discretion may require an assessment of the effects on mana whenua. We recommend you engage with iwi as soon as possible to determine whether you will need to do a cultural value assessment.

​What happens next

We will email you a confirmation we have received your notification form within 10 working days.

We will also contact you about an initial site meeting or if we need more information from you.

More information

To learn more about the connected areas of a river, see NES-F – Identifying the connected area of a river when applying the fish passage regulations (PDF 883 KB).

The Ministry for the Environment has prepared some policy and regulation fact sheets to help explain the new NES Freshwater legislation.

See the pre-recorded Ministry for the Environment webinar Raising the bar on ecosystem health - wetlands, rivers and fish.

Read the National Environmental Standards for Freshwater legislation.

Read our Resource Consents Guidance Notes on how the NES-F affects the resource consent process (PDF 848 KB).

 Related topics



Resource consents consentsFind information on types of resource consents, how to apply, subdivisions, fees, earthworks, access ways, water permits, road naming, appeals, conditions, ongoing monitoring and more.aspxBuilding and consents
Notice of undertaking a permitted activity in a plantation forest of undertaking a permitted activity in a plantation forestInformation on the process of submitting a Notice to Undertake a Permitted Activity in a Plantation Forest.aspx
Transfer of farm dairy discharge permitted activities of farm dairy discharge permitted activities​Find out how to transfer a permitted activity to another party.aspxResource consents
Works in and around rivers and streams in and around rivers and streamsThe Government has introduced new regulations to protect rivers and streams.aspxEnvironment