Skip to main content
COVID-19 Alert Level 1 Visitors to our buildings should check in using the NZ COVID Tracer app or register manually.
For the current status of council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 Alert Level 1
Water restrictions in Auckland More Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater restrictions in Auckland

Ngā whakaaetanga ā-tuhi a te hunga whai pānga

Written approval of affected persons

When we assess a resource consent application, we consider whether people may be adversely affected by the activities proposed in the application. If you are identified as an affected person, you may be approached by the applicant for written approval.

Getting approval

If there are people that may be affected by your resource consent proposal, consider getting their written approval before you lodge your application with us.

When you approach people to ask for their written approval, take a copy of the information and plans you use in the proposal for them to look over.

If you get written approval from affected parties, we will not consider the effects of your project on these people when deciding whether to notify your consent. This may mean you can avoid the need for notification and a hearing.

To check who we would identify as being affected by your project, you can request pre-application guidance to discuss this. 

For more information, see the consultation for resource consent applicants guide on the Ministry for the Environment website.

​Giving your approval to a resource consent

When considering a resource consent application, we consider the effects of a proposal on the surrounding environment and any effects on people. 

If you are likely to be affected by a proposed activity you may be approached by the consent applicant, or someone acting on their behalf, to ask for your written approval of their proposed activity. 

You need to understand why they are asking for your approval, and what effects the proposed activity will have on you and your property. 

If you do give your written approval:

  • the adverse effects on you will not be considered when we decide whether to notify the application, or to grant or decline the application
  • you can’t appeal the decision after the resource consent has been approved or issued.

If you’re unsure if you should provide written approval, you should get independent advice from a professional, e.g. a planner or lawyer.

Read the useful guide on the Ministry for the Environment website, which outlines everything you need to know about your rights as an affected person.


 Related topics



Apply for a Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity Notice for a Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity NoticeFind out when you can apply for a Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity.aspx
Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE) of Environmental Effects (AEE)Find out what an AEE is and what should be included.aspx
Cultural values assessments (CVA) values assessments (CVA)Check if you need a Cultural Values Assessment before you apply for a resource consent.aspx
Engaging with mana whenua with mana whenuaFind out why mana whenua may need to be consulted when applying for a resource consent.aspx
How to prepare a good quality resource consent application to prepare a good quality resource consent applicationFind out what to include in a resource consent application; a good quality application can save you time and money.aspx
Written approval of affected persons approval of affected personsKnow your rights if a consent applicant contacts you asking for written approval for their consent application.aspx