Skip to main content

Puka whakaaetanga, he puka tuku rānei mō ngā hanganga ki tātahi.

Coastal consents or permits

Coastal permit

A coastal consent, or permit, may be required for a wide range of activities, including:

  • to reclaim part of the foreshore or seabed
  • to construct a structure in, on, under, or over any foreshore or seabed, e.g. to build a jetty, seawall or marina
  • to disturb the foreshore or seabed, e.g. by excavation or dredging
  • to deposit substances in, on, under, or over any foreshore or seabed
  • to plant exotic or introduced plants in, on, under, or over the foreshore or seabed
  • to occupy any part of the common marine and coastal area
  • to remove sand, shingle, shell or other natural material
  • to carry out activities in, on, under, or over any coastal marine area for which a resource consent is required, e.g. the removal of mangroves.

Apply online for a coastal permit

Applying for a coastal permit requires submitting an application for a resource consent. As with all resource consents, you need to submit an Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE).

We only accept online applications for a coastal permit. If you are unable to apply digitally, visit one of our libraries with council services for assistance in making your online application.

​Apply now

If there is no way to provide digital copies of your plans or documents, visit one of our libraries with council services. Our staff will accept your documents for an additional charge. The charge covers costs involved with us scanning your documents into our digital consent system.

Call us on 09 301 0101 to speak with our building and planning help desk if you have questions regarding your application.

 Related topics



Consider stormwater when building stormwater when buildingIf you are doing any sort of development, one of the factors you need to consider is stormwater. Find out what you need to know about stormwater before you begin.aspxStormwater
Freshwater management policy and standards management policy and standardsThe Government's recent Essential Freshwater policy introduces new rules and regulations for Auckland and the rest of the country.aspxEnvironment
Report a water quality issue a water quality issueContact us for water quality issues or oil spills. We advise when the water is unsafe due to flooding, erosion, pollution and unhealthy practices. aspxWater quality
Water permit to take, use, dam, or divert water permit to take, use, dam, or divert waterFind out how to apply for a water permit (or water consent).aspxResource consents
Water Use Data Management System Use Data Management SystemIf you hold a water consent you can log your meter readings using our Water Use Data Management System, WUDMS.aspx
Consent for works within the bed of a lake or river for works within the bed of a lake or riverFind out how to apply to work in the bed of a lake or river.aspxResource consents