Skip to main content
Auckland Council

When you will need land use resource consent

Āhea koe hiahia whakaaetanga ā-rawa mō te whakamahi whenua

​A land use resource consent is required for an activity that affects the environment.

This includes:

  • building and alterations
  • earthworks
  • retail
  • horticulture
  • vegetation removal.

The Auckland Unitary Plan sets rules and standards to manage the effects of activities, buildings and development on the environment.

 Related links



Earthworks, soil erosion, sediment and dust from earthworks, contaminated land, order a site contamination enquiry report, landfills, apply for a land use resource consent. aspx
Subdivision of property of propertyFind out if you can subdivide your property, the types of subdivision and how to check if you can subdivide your property. aspx
Regional resource consents resource consents​Read about the types of activities that require a regional resource consent.​aspx
Existing use certificate use certificateFind out how to apply for an existing use certificate to prove you have a legal right to carry out an existing activity.aspx