Skip to main content
Auckland Council
Water conservation efforts
More How we are reducing water usage across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater conservation efforts

Extension of time to commence building work

Te whakaroa ake i te wā e tīmata, e oti ai rānei ngā mahi hanga whare

From the date your building consent was issued, you have 12 months to start work. After 24 months, we must decide whether or not to issue the Code Compliance Certificate.

When to apply for an extension of time

Your consent may lapse if you cannot start building work within 12 months.

To avoid your consent lapsing, you need to apply for an extension of time before the specified time frame is reached.

Work not started

If you have not started work or we have not done any inspections within 12 months of issuing your consent, we will send you a letter asking if you intend to proceed.

If you want to proceed but need more time, apply for an extension of time.

Our tip

If you don't apply for an extension of time before your consent lapses, you will need to apply for a new building consent to complete your project.

Application fees for extension of time

* Fees are indicative pricing only

Read fee table.
Service Fee
Extension of time to commence building work under a building consent$150
Lapsing of building consent$165

​How to apply for an extension of time


 In person

​Take your completed application form to one of our customer service centres and pay by:
  • cash
  • cheque
  • Eftpos
  • MasterCard or Visa (a convenience fee of 1.75 per cent of your payment amount applies).

 By post

​Send the completed application form to:

Auckland Council
Private Bag 92300
Auckland 1142

What happens next

The team leader or senior inspector will consider your application and after reviewing your building consent file, will make a decision. The decision will depend on whether there have been any changes to the Building Code.

 Related topics