Skip to main content
COVID-19 information For all COVID-19 information, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website at
Visit OurAuckland to learn about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19
Get the latest information about council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 information
Auckland Council

Get a licence to keep more than two dogs on a property

​Whai raihana mō te tiaki e rua kurī neke atu rānei i te wāhi kotahi

Keeping more than two dogs

If you live in an urban zone, you need a licence to keep more than two dogs for longer than 30 consecutive days.

This rule applies even if you don't legally own the dogs.

If you are classified as urban residential, you will need a licence.

If you live in a rural zone, you do not need a licence.

To check if you are in an urban zone, enter your property address on the property rates and valuation section and look for property rates.

For details of the rules, see our Policy on Dogs and the Dog Management Bylaw 2019.

Contact us for more information.


Apply for a licence

Read fee table.
Licence Fee
Licence to keep more than two dogs$45


​Login to complete an online application form.

You can pay by Visa, MasterCard or Account2Account (bank transfer).

 By post

​Post the completed form and a cheque to:

Animal Administration
Auckland Council
Private Bag 92300
Auckland 1142

 In person

Bring the completed form to any of our service centres.

You can pay by:

  • cash
  • cheque
  • Eftpos
  • credit card (MasterCard or Visa).

​What happens next

We book in a time for an animal management officer to visit your property and assess if it meets the conditions.

We will also check for any complaints about dogs barking or howling on your property.

When you need to apply again

Once you have the licence, you need to apply for a new one only if you:

  • move to a different property
  • want more dogs than allowed on the licence.

 Related topics