Focus of the Policy on Dogs
The Dog Control Act 1996 requires councils to have a policy on dogs, and a dog bylaw to put the policy into effect.
The policy focuses on:
- responsible dog ownership - what a dog owner should do as a good neighbour
- dog welfare - what people should do to care for the well-being of dogs
- community education - what people should know to stay safe around dogs
- dog safe access - where dogs can be taken in public places
- registration - the identification of the owner of every dog
- dog safe communities - the safety and comfort of people using public places
- bylaws, funding, monitoring - what is needed to help achieve our aims.
Get a copy of the Policy on Dogs