Rīpoatahia he tupu orotā, he kīrehe orotā, he tipu urutā rānei
Report a pest plant, pest animal or plant disease
Pest plants, pest animals or plant diseases
We implement pest management programmes for specific types of pests. We need your help to report
pests that are targeted for eradication or progressive containment by council across the region or on Aotea Great Barrier.
See the list of pests we control in the
Regional Pest Management Plan (RPMP).
If you want to report a pest plant (weed), pest animal or plant disease not in the RPMP, email us at
email@example.com. To report a nuisance caused by a domesticated animal, please phone us on 09 301 0101.
When to contact Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)
For some pests, you may also need to notify the
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) on 0800 80 99 66. You can also visit the
MPI website to see if the pest is known to be in New Zealand.
MPI is responsible for managing exotic pests when they enter our country.
From time to time, MPI will identify threats from new pest species. When there is a threat, they will lead a national response to prevent the new pest from establishing.
Report your pest problem online
If you see a pest plant, pest animal or plant disease, you can
report it online. Tell us the details, upload a picture and we will respond to your enquiry within five working days.
Examples of exotic pests
- Queensland Fruit Fly
- Red vented bulbul - brown or black bird with a white abdomen and a red patch beneath its tail. It causes damage to crops, and attacks and displaces other birds due to its competitive nature.
If you think you’ve seen a marine pest outside its known location, note the location and take a photo or sample if you can.
Report it to:
Examples of marine pests
- Asian paddle crab - off-white to chestnut brown with flattened swimming paddles. An aggressive predator, it can carry diseases to other crabs, lobsters, shrimp and prawn.
- Australian droplet tunicate - white tubes found in sand, seagrass beds, wharves and harbours. They displace fish species, smother beaches and pollute marine structures.
- Clubbed tunicate/leathery seasquirt - woody stalks with brown leathery skin. They are found in aquaculture structures and boat hulls. They prey on larvae of commercially important fish species.
- Mediterranean fanworm - spiral crown that project from a leathery flexible tube. They attach to hard surfaces in soft sediments. They prey on larvae of fish species.
- Pyura - brown mat with a hard, sac-like body that has sand and shell fragments. They are visible at low tide. They displace native species, including greenshell mussels.
- Undaria - brown or yellowish plants that can grow up to 3m tall. They thrive in polluted waters and form colonies that displace fish species.
|Protect our kauri trees||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/protect-trees-disease/protect-our-kauri-trees||Protect our kauri trees||Kauri trees are under the threat of kauri dieback disease. Our steps in controlling the disease include setting up protection zones and educating the public.||aspx|
|Prevent pests from spreading||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/prevent-pests-from-spreading.aspx||Prevent pests from spreading||Prevent pests from spreading by checking and cleaning your vehicle and gear after visiting a site with pests and before visiting an island.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|How to dispose of weeds||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/how-to-dispose-weeds.aspx||How to dispose of weeds||You need to be careful when disposing of weeds. Check which transfer stations accept green waste or have a garden company collect the weeds you removed.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|How we control pests||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/how-we-control-pests.aspx||How we control pests||We select pest control methods depending on the species and site. These may include traps, shooting, or toxins.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|Identify pest animals||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/identify-pest-animals.aspx||Identify pest animals||Identify the pest before you start pest control.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|Identify weeds||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/identify-weeds.aspx||Identify weeds||Identify weeds before you remove them. Use our pest search or check other weed databases. ||aspx||Biosecurity|