Visit the Keep Kauri Standing website for more information about kauri dieback.
What we are doing to reduce the spread of kauri dieback
To protect healthy and at-risk kauri, we have closed a number of forested areas and tracks around the region.
These closures include:
- the forested areas of the Waitākere Ranges, with some exemptions
- a number of high-risk tracks in the Hunua Ranges, as well as in other parts of the Franklin Local Board area
- a number of high-risk tracks in the Kaipātiki Local Board area
- a few tracks on Waiheke Island.
For more information about what tracks are closed, see the Protect our kauri trees page.
Controlled Area Notices (CANs)
From 1 May 2018, Controlled Area Notices were put in place in parts of the Waitākere Ranges and the Hunua Ranges in order to open some tracks.
A Controlled Area Notice (or CAN) is part of the Biosecurity Act. Under the CAN, anyone entering the area must not have any visible soil on their footwear or equipment, and must use the hygiene stations at the track entrances and exits.
Visit the Ministry of Primary Industries' kauri dieback website for more information on the CAN.
We conduct regular surveys to check the state of our kauri.
In recent years, we have had surveys at:
- Waitākere Ranges Regional Park (2011, 2016)
- Hunua Ranges Regional Park and Āwhitu Peninsula (2012, 2017)
- Hauraki Gulf islands (2013)
- our local parks across Auckland (2014)
- northern regional parks (2015).
We work on research projects to investigate:
- how to detect kauri dieback from infected trees, contaminated soil and water
- how to treat the disease, and manage its symptoms
- the origins of the disease, and how it spreads
- the long-term impact on other species, and on forest ecology.
We educate the public about the disease and its effects.
We work with communities to protect local kauri through advocacy work on regional parks. Come and talk to us at community events.
We also provide:
- resource material for schools
- activities for children
- fact sheets and standard operating procedures for contractors
- kauri care guide for landowners.