Whakaritea he kaupapa tiaki taiao i tō māra
Use eco design practices in your garden
Improve our waterways and the stormwater network with eco design practices and devices:
- Permeable surfaces, such as lawns, reduce the amount of stormwater going into drains.
- Retention tanks collect runoff water from hard surfaces and store it during a storm.
- Rain tanks are the same as retention tanks but are often used in rural areas.
- Soakage trenches along edges of paving help the ground absorb more stormwater.
- Rain gardens allow stormwater to soak through the soil, filtering out sediment before it goes through drains. They reduce the amount of pollution reaching our waterways.
- Living roofs are roofs with vegetation. They absorb rainwater and improve insulation.
- Mulching keeps moisture in the soil and helps slow the flow of stormwater. Dried leaves or wood chips make for good mulching.
To find out if you need to apply for a consent for any of these devices, see Consents.
To prevent or reduce flood risk on your property, see Flooding and blockages.
|Sustainability and eco design||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/sustainability-eco-design||Sustainability and eco design||Get tips on how to reduce carbon emissions in your day-to-day living. Access expert advice on how to design your home or business to be more sustainable.||aspx||Sustainability|
|Report pollution||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/what-you-can-do-for-environment/Pages/report-pollution.aspx||Report pollution||Call the pollution hotline for stormwater pollution and air pollution. The Pollution Response Team is available seven days a week.||aspx||Environment consultation|
|Natural environments of the Auckland region||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/plant-for-your-ecosystem/Pages/natural-environments-auckland-region.aspx||Natural environments of the Auckland region||Natural environments and ecosystems support different plants and animals.||aspx||Biodiversity|
|How to control weeds||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/how-to-control-weeds.aspx||How to control weeds||Find advice on how to remove the weeds on your property and prevent them from coming back. Replant or cover the area with mulch after removing the weeds.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|How to dispose of weeds||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/how-to-dispose-weeds.aspx||How to dispose of weeds||You need to be careful when disposing of weeds. Check which transfer stations accept green waste or have a garden company collect the weeds you removed.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|Identify weeds||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/identify-weeds.aspx||Identify weeds||Identify weeds before you remove them. Use our pest search or check other weed databases. ||aspx||Biosecurity|