Te whakakorengaKīrearea ki Tāmaki Makaurau hei te tau 2050
Pest Free Auckland 2050
Keeping Auckland’s natural environment thriving is vital to the health and wellbeing of the region’s people, culture and economy.
What is Pest Free Auckland 2050?
Pest Free Auckland is a community-led conservation programme that we facilitate.
It has three goals:
- eradicate - remove pest animals, plants and pathogens
- restore - restore and connect ecosystems and introduce native species
- tell stories - showcase community action and celebrate success.
Pest Free Auckland is partly funded by the
Natural Environment Targeted Rate, which was introduced in July 2018 to help eliminate threats to our native species.
Pest Free Auckland 2050 actions
The programme will help direct conservation action to:
- open sanctuaries
- green corridors (both rural and urban) that will connect nature across Auckland.
We will do this through partnerships and relationships with:
- community groups
- mana whenua
- landowners and households
- Department of Conservation
- business and philanthropic sectors.
To help Auckland become pest free, we will:
- provide technical advice, best practice guides, and access to funding support to help build the capacity of community groups, iwi, and landowners to carry out conservation action
- work with the Department of Conservation to align our programmes with community action
- carry out our obligations as described in the
Regional Pest Management Plan and the
Indigenous Biodiversity Strategy.
- identify biodiversity focus areas to ensure each of the native ecosystem types in the region remains in a functioning state
- maintain pest control and restoration programmes in parks, and expand sanctuaries to match park boundaries
- continue to focus on high priority ecosystems (such as the Waitākere and Hunua Ranges regional parks)
- support landowners and communities to restore and connect areas.
For more information, contact the Biosecurity team at
Identify and control pests yourself
Join a Pest Free Auckland 2050 community group
To find a pest control community group you can join, see the
Nature Space website.
For volunteering opportunities on local or regional parks, see
Volunteer in our parks.
Follow community projects that you can get involved in on the
Auckland Biodiversity Facebook page.
Pest Free Auckland 2050 newsletter
Subscribe to our regular e-newsletter and keep up to date with the Pest Free Auckland activities.
See more on Pest Free Auckland at
|Prevent pests from spreading||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/prevent-pests-from-spreading.aspx||Prevent pests from spreading||Prevent pests from spreading by checking and cleaning your vehicle and gear after visiting a site with pests and before visiting an island.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|Report a pest plant, pest animal or plant disease||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/report-pest-plant-pest-animal-plant-disease.aspx||Report a pest plant, pest animal or plant disease||Report weeds, pest animals and diseases to Auckland Council. Report marine and exotic pests to MPI.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|How to control pest animals||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/how-to-control-pest-animals.aspx||How to control pest animals||There are things to consider when planning pest control. We can investigate the cause but you have to arrange for pest control on your property.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|How we control pests||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/how-we-control-pests.aspx||How we control pests||We select pest control methods depending on the species and site. These may include traps, shooting, or toxins.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|Identify pest animals||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/identify-pest-animals.aspx||Identify pest animals||Identify the pest before you start pest control.||aspx||Biosecurity|
|Identify weeds||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/identify-weeds.aspx||Identify weeds||Identify weeds before you remove them. Use our pest search or check other weed databases. ||aspx||Biosecurity|