Te tono ki tētahi Wārati Kīrearea Kore
Apply for a Pest Free Warrant
The Auckland Regional Pest Management Plan 2020-2030 requires all commercial transport operators to obtain and maintain a Pest Free Warrant (PFW) by 2024.
This is to help reduce the risk of pest spread to the Hauraki Gulf Islands. The PFW assesses:
- how well you apply biosecurity measures
- how you communicate biosecurity requirements to your customers.
Pest Free Warrants are free and we are providing advice and support to businesses to achieve their warrants.
Benefits of a Pest Free Warrant
Having a warrant will:
- help you meet the standards set out in the Regional Pest Management Plan 2020-2030
- reduce the risk of pest invasion on the Hauraki Gulf Islands
- meet the condition for most Department of Conservation (DOC) concessions and wharf permits for the Hauraki Gulf Islands
- allow you to use the Pest Free Warrant logo to demonstrate your clean green commitment
- add your business to our biosecurity-friendly list.
How to get a warrant
Meet the conditions
Find out if you are eligible and check if your operation meets the Pest Free Warrant conditions:
You can apply for a new warrant, renew an existing warrant or make changes to your details using our online form.
Apply for a Pest Free Warrant
Training and support
Biosecurity staff members from Auckland Council and DOC are available to help your business achieve the best results regarding biosecurity.
We offer initial and ongoing support in setting up your Pest Free Warrant. With our pest detection dog-handler teams, we can offer inspections of customers and your vessels to ensure no pests are being transported.
Other permits you may need
You may also need one of the following permits to undertake commercial activities on DOC managed public conservation land.
- Concession: This DOC permit allows you to undertake commercial activities such as guided walking on public conservation land. You are required to have a Pest Free Warrant for most DOC concessions for the Hauraki Gulf Islands.
- Wharf use permit: This permit allows commercial boat operators to use DOC-managed wharves in the Hauraki Gulf. As with concessions, you are required to have a Pest Free Warrant for wharf use permits for the Hauraki Gulf Islands.
You can discuss these options with our biosecurity advisor during the PFW process.
|Projects on Hauraki Gulf islands||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/our-projects/projects-central-auckland/projects-hauraki-gulf-islands||Projects on Hauraki Gulf islands||The islands of the Hauraki Gulf are an important environment feature of Auckland, but are also a permanent home to an estimated 10,000 people, and thousands more tourists and visitors.||aspx|
|Visiting the Hauraki Gulf islands||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/what-you-can-do-for-environment/Pages/visiting-hauraki-gulf-islands.aspx||Visiting the Hauraki Gulf islands||Before you visit the Hauraki Gulf islands, pack carefully and check your gear and vessel thoroughly for rats, Argentine ants or plague skinks.||aspx||Environment consultation|
|Pest Free Auckland||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/what-we-do-to-help-environment/our-biodiversity-projects/Pages/pest-free-auckland.aspx||Pest Free Auckland||Get involved in Pest Free Auckland, a community-led conservation initiative. ||aspx||Volunteering|
|Help to improve the marine environment in your area||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/looking-after-aucklands-water/looking-after-our-waterways/Pages/help-improve-marine-environment-in-your-area.aspx||Help to improve the marine environment in your area||There are local groups actively contributing to the health of our marine environment and coastlines. Find out what these environmental organisations do. ||aspx||Water quality|
|Regional Pest Management Plan (RPMP)||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/our-plans-strategies/topic-based-plans-strategies/environmental-plans-strategies/Pages/regional-pest-management-plan.aspx||Regional Pest Management Plan (RPMP)||Information about Auckland Council's Regional Pest Management Plan, setting our priorities for managing animal and plant pests.||aspx||Strategies|
|What we are doing about kauri dieback||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/protect-trees-disease/protect-our-kauri-trees/Pages/what-we-are-doing-about-kauri-dieback.aspx||What we are doing about kauri dieback||Find out what we are doing to stop the spread of kauri dieback.||aspx|
Is the information on this page helpful?
To ask for help or report a problem with our services or facilities, contact us.