Skip to main content
COVID-19 Alert Level 3

At Alert Level 3: Step 1 you can travel throughout Auckland for exercise and recreation outdoors. Our early childhood centres are open for enrolled children only.

Customer-facing facilities like leisure centres, community venues, customer service centres and libraries will remain closed until further notice. Essential services will continue.

Wear a face covering, use the NZ COVID Tracer app, maintain a 2m physical distance, wash your hands, and stay home if you are sick.

For the information about council services and closures, visit the COVID-19 section

To learn more about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19, visit OurAuckland


Water restrictions in Auckland - Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn more

4. Who will be at the hearing

Who attends the hearing, depends on the type of hearing.

Notified applications, such as a resource consent or a plan changes, are usually heard by independent commissioners.

For a council consultation, it is likely your submission will be heard by elected representatives. This can include local board members, councillors and Independent Māori Statutory Board members.

The names of those on the hearing panel will be included on the front page of the agenda for the hearing.


Independent commissioners

We appoint decision-makers from a pool of 52 independent commissioners and they are among the government-listed certificate holders.

If you need more information about individual members, email

What independent commissioners do

Commissioners conduct hearings on various matters, including:

  • resource consent applications
  • plan changes
  • notices of requirement
  • bylaws and dispensations
  • reserve management plans
  • policies where the Special Consultative Procedure is used, and
  • other hearings as determined by the Regulatory Committee.

Commissioners may also be appointed as duty commissioners, acting under delegated authority to consider and make decisions on:

  • resource consent applications (including notification determinations)
  • notices of requirement and outline plan of works
  • section 125 applications
  • section 127 applications
  • section 37 and other matters that do not require a hearing.