Ngā ture mō ngā wharau hoko kai i ngā mākete
Rules for food stalls in a market
If you are an event organiser, market operator or food stall vendor, you need to understand our rules for food stalls in a market. The rules listed here are a guide.
Registration of your food stall
If your food stall was registered before 1 March 2016, you must have a certificate of registration that we issued.
This rule does not apply to food stalls:
- registered under the Food Act 2014
- exempt from registration under the Food Act 2014
- selling non-perishable food
- located within a market that is already registered
- where the food sold has been prepared off-site in a registered food premises before sale and the stall operator either:
- is the holder of a certificate of registration and displays a copy of that certificate at the stall
- is operating the food stall under the authority of the holder of a certificate of registration and displays a copy of that certificate at the stall.
Food safety grade certificates
- Clearly display food safety grade certificates issued by council in full view by all food stalls.
- We may withdraw and remove certificates if the performance of your food stall falls below the grading standards.
- You must apply in writing for a food safety re-grading and pay a fee. To see how, see Grading of food businesses.
- your food stall will receive a grading after our annual inspection.
Train your staff
- At least 50 per cent of staff employed at your food stall at any one time (including part-time workers) must pass an approved basic food hygiene course.
- Staff must pass an approved basic food hygiene course before they start to work at your stall, or within three months of starting work at your stall.
- Keep evidence of staff training in food hygiene at your food stall.
For detailed information, including what qualifies as a food stall, read
|Open a public market||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/markets-on-public-land/open-public-market||Open a public market||To apply for a public market licence, check if you need resource consent. You will need to submit supporting documents. Applications are processed within 10 working days. ||Guide||aspx||Public market licence|
|Change or transfer ownership of a public market licence||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/markets-on-public-land/Pages/change-transfer-ownership-of-public-market-licence.aspx||Change or transfer ownership of a public market licence||If you have taken over the management of a market with an existing public market licence, you must provide us with any new details.||aspx||Street trading or busking licence|
|Renew a public market licence||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/markets-on-public-land/Pages/renew-public-market-licence.aspx||Renew a public market licence||Renew your licence before your current licence expires - doing this will keep your licence active. Contact us if you have not received a renewal notice. ||aspx||Public market licence|
|Complain about a mobile trader or market||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/mobile-traders/Pages/complain-about-mobile-trader-or-market.aspx||Complain about a mobile trader or market||Contact us if you are concerned about a mobile shop or stall trading in a public place.||aspx||Street trading and performance
Trading in parks|
|Trade from private land, markets or events||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/mobile-traders/Pages/trade-from-private-land-markets-events.aspx||Trade from private land, markets or events||To sell food or beverages from private land, you need to apply for food registration, get approval from the event manager or landowner, and check with our planning helpdesk that your type of activity is allowed.||aspx||Street trading and performance
Trading in parks|
|Running a home-based food business||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/licences-regulations/business-licences/food-businesses-quality-grading/open-food-business/Pages/running-a-home-based-food-business.aspx||Running a home-based food business||Find out what factors you need to consider before opening a home-based food business.||aspx||Food|