Skip to main content
Auckland Council
Water conservation efforts
More How we are reducing water usage across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater conservation efforts

Other permits and licences you may need for your event

Ētahi atu whakaaetanga e hiahia pea koe hei whakahaere kaupapa

You may need to apply for other licences and permits aside from your event permit.

Our tip

Email or call 09 301 0101 and ask to speak to an event facilitator to confirm what permits you might need.

Food stall registration

You need to make sure all food vendors at your event are registered.

See Apply for food registration.

Alcohol special licence

You will need to apply for an alcohol special licence if you are selling alcohol at your event.

You also need an alcohol special licence for events where you:

  • charge an entry fee
  • collecting donations where alcohol is being supplied for free.

Submit your application at least 20 working days before your event.

Amusement ride permit

You need to apply for an amusement ride permit if you plan to have any amusement rides at your event.

This does not include bouncy castles and inflatable slides.

Fire permit

You need to apply for a fire permit if you plan to light a fire - see outdoor fires for more information.


For information about where you and can't have fireworks, see Fireworks, Guy Fawkes bonfires and sky lanterns.

For firework displays held on water (for example from a barge), call the Harbourmaster's office on 09 362 0397.

Building consent

You will need to apply for a building consent if you are planning to erect:

  • marquees larger than 100 square metres
  • marquees that will be up for longer than a month
  • stages, gantries or grandstands more than 1.5m above ground
  • structures more than 2.5m tall such as signage, artwork or platforms.

Resource consent

You will need to apply for a resource consent if you are planning activities that have an effect on the environment. This includes if your event is longer than six days and you have more than six hours of amplified noise per day.

Depending on your location, you may need to apply for a resource consent for holding a market, or you may need a public market licence.

 Related topics