Skip to main content

Ngā tohu pakitara kei ngā takiwā taiwhenua

Wall-mounted signs in rural zones

Where you can display wall-mounted signs in rural zones

You can display only flat wall-mounted signs (signs attached flat against or painted on a wall) at a premises in rural zones.

You cannot display horizontal wall-mounted signs (signs attached at a 90-degree angle to a wall) at a premises in rural zones.

All wall-mounted signs on a premises in rural zones must:

  • not cover any window
  • only advertise the business, services, products, activities or events available at the premise
  • comply with special and general rules about illumination, animation and vehicle and pedestrian safety (see clauses 20-29 of the Signs Bylaw 2022).

Rules for flat wall-mounted signs in rural zones

You can display flat wall-mounted signs at a premises in rural zones with some restrictions:

  • You can display one flat wall-mounted sign per business for every 5m of visible wall length.
  • Each sign can use a maximum wall area of 2.2 square metres.
  • Signs cannot extend beyond, or stick out from, the outline of the wall.
  • You cannot combine signs with other flat wall-mounted signs to create a larger sign.
  • Signs cannot project, or stick out, more than 30mm from a wall if next to a public footpath.
  • You cannot display a sign higher than 4m on a ground floor wall.

Find the zone for your premises

You can find out the zone for your premises by searching for your address on Geomaps. Under the results tab on the left-hand side of your screen, you will find your property summary including your zone.

You can read a full description of the rules for wall-mounted signs in clause 9 of the Signs Bylaw 2022.

You should know

If you want to put up a business sign in scheduled historic heritage places you will need a resource consent.
Check Geomaps to see if your address is in a historic heritage area. Under the results tab on the left hand side of your screen, you will find your property summary.
If your property is a historic heritage property or in a historic heritage area, you will see this under the heading "Overlays".  
Read about historic heritage places in the Auckland Unitary Plan. This will help you determine which historic heritage rules apply to you.

 Related topics



Promotions and displays and displaysIf you want to hand out promotional goods you will need a licence. Meet with us before you apply and view the guidelines for displaying goods on the footpath.aspxDistributing promotional goods licence
Mobile traders tradersFind out where you can trade, work out the costs of a mobile trading licence, apply for or transfer a mobile trading licence, or complain about a mobile trader or market.aspxMobile trading licence Trading in parks Street trading and performance
Apply for a sign approval for a sign approvalFind out how to apply for an approval to a sign rule, how much it will cost, and how we can help you.GuideaspxSigns
Signs Bylaw 2022 Bylaw 2022This bylaw provides for signs that protect people and environment. It includes rules for permanent and temporary signs on private and public property, including sign location, number, size, content and illumination.aspxBylaw Signs
Complain about a billboard or sign about a billboard or signReport complaints and safety issues with billboards and signs to us.aspxSigns
Put up a billboard up a billboardIn most situations you will need a resource consent and a building consent to put up a billboard. aspxSigns