Skip to main content
COVID-19 Orange setting

For information about our services and facilities restrictions during the protection framework settings, see the COVID-19 section

For up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit

Tohu whaimana tūturu

Lawfully established signs

If your business signs (except portable signs) were lawfully complying with the previous legacy bylaws, district plan or we have issued a permit, exemption or resource consent (where the signage was part of an overall development) the sign may remain in place as long as:

  • the size and location of the signage does not change
  • the signage does not change, so it no longer complies with the relevant approval
  • the signage complies with the key requirements in the bylaw concerning safety, illumination and content (see clauses 7-13 of the bylaw).

If you are not sure the signage you currently have complies with the new regulations, contact us on 09 301 0101.


 Related topics



Promotions and displays and displaysIf you want to hand out promotional goods you will need a licence. Meet with us before you apply and view the guidelines for displaying goods on the footpath.aspxDistributing promotional goods licence
Business licences licencesLicences for health and beauty, hairdressers, market, mobile trading, brothel, alcohol, food, funeral director, campground, home based, and rubbish and waste businesses.aspxLicences and regulations Food Alcohol Hairdressing Health licensing
Mobile traders tradersFind out where you can trade, work out the costs of a mobile trading licence, apply for or transfer a mobile trading licence, or complain about a mobile trader or market.aspxStreet trading and performance Trading in parks
Signage Bylaw 2015 Bylaw 2015This bylaw regulates promotional signs to ensure public safety and prevent nuisance from poorly maintained or located signage.aspxBylaw
Complain about a billboard or sign about a billboard or signReport complaints and safety issues with billboards and signs to us.aspxSigns
Put up a billboard up a billboardIn most situations you will need a resource consent and a building consent to put up a billboard. aspxSigns