Ōkahu Bay stormwater and wastewater separation project
Te kaupapa mahi mō te tauwehe i te ua i te wai parakino i te pūnaha manga i Ōkahu
The $15.5 million Project Ōkahu Bay is a collaboration between Auckland Council, Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei, and Watercare.
COVID-19 project information
Following the government announcement on Monday April 20, we are now able to resume work on this project. The timeline for this work is being revised, and will be updated on this page when it is finalised.
Crews will maintain strict hygiene and social distancing measures as advised by the government's COVID-19 guidelines.
The aim of Project Ōkahu Bay
In some areas of the Ōkahu Bay catchment, stormwater and wastewater flow together in a combined sewer system. This project aims to separate stormwater from this combined system.
Where public drainage separation is occurring, we'll also look at separating combined drainage of any private properties in that area.
Partly funded by the water quality targeted rate, the upgrade and separation project aims to:
- improve the quality of the water discharging into Ōkahu Bay
- reduce the frequency of wastewater overflows into Ōkaku Bay
- increase the capacity of the network to enable more homes to be built in the area, including by Ngati Whatua Ōrākei
- reduce flooding by extending the stormwater network throughout the Ōkahu Bay catchment.
Complexity of Project Ōkahu Bay
In the lead-up to this project we have:
- inspected around 800 properties to find out what needs to be done
- finalised the system design
- appointed contractors, who will be on site from 1 October 2019.
Most of the work to install the new system will be unseen and unheard, using drilling technology best able to cope with the challenges of the rolling, deep gullied topography and geology in the area.
Thousands of pipes measuring between 10m to 500m in length will be laid, with over 50 connection points.
Project Ōkahu Bay timeframes
Construction is set to begin in October 2019.
We will let residents know details of time frames for the different phases and advise if we need access to private properties with combined wastewater and stormwater pipes before construction starts.
The project is due to be completed at the end of 2021.
More information about Project Ōkahu Bay
If you have questions, or would like to receive our regular newsletter updates, email email@example.com.