E tono kia whakahokia atu tō utunga reiti ā-whenua
Request a refund of a property rates payment
Types of rates refunds
You may be eligible for a rates refund if:
- your rates rebate has cleared your rates balance to 30 June and put you in credit
- you have overpaid your rates account
- your rates have been adjusted resulting in a credit balance for the year
- there has been a change in property ownership.
How to request a refund
We will credit all refunds into your bank account.
You must provide your:
- daytime phone number
- property address
- reason for refund
- proof of bank account, for example:
- scanned, pre-printed bank deposit slip
- letter from your bank
- screenshot of your internet banking account details, including your bank account name and number with the bank logo
- scanned cheque
- settlement statement from the solicitor (if the refund request is due to a change of ownership).
- proof of each payment to be refunded, for example a bank statement or bank account screenshot. Proof of payment is not needed for direct debit or internet payments made within New Zealand, where refund is to be paid back into the same bank account.
Email your request (including the relevant information specified) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Once we validate your request for refund, it may take seven to ten working days to appear on your bank statement.
How to request a refund of a penalty
If a penalty has been applied to your account, find out if you are eligible for a
remission of property rates penalties.