What is on offer?
If you are a ratepayer, you can apply for up to $5000 (including GST) for home improvement options such as:
- home insulation
solar hot water
energy storage batteries
type 2 EV (electric vehicle) chargers
- window treatments to maximise thermal efficiency (double-layer curtains, honeycomb blinds, roman blinds)
fire place removal
- bathroom or kitchen mechanical extraction
- water efficiency devices.
How you can repay
You will pay back the borrowed amount through your property rates, including interest charges, over nine years.
Retrofit Your Home repayments for information about instalments.
How to find out if you qualify
You qualify if you are:
- an Auckland Council ratepayer
- up to date with your rates payments and have a good payment history
- you use an
If you have more than one house, you can apply for up to $5000 for each house.
For clean heat options, your home must already be insulated.
Other options to fund your insulation
Warmer Kiwi Homes is a government programme offering grants that cover 90 per cent of the cost of:
- ceiling and underfloor insulation
- a heat pump or an efficient wood burner or pellet burner.
You do not need to pay back grants provided by Warmer Kiwi Homes.
Grants for heaters are capped at $3000 inc GST.
For more information, and to find out if you are eligible, see
Warmer Kiwi Homes.
Bank funding options
If you have a mortgage with a New Zealand bank, you may be able to add the cost of insulating your home to your mortgage.
Some banks may agree to waive associated fees or offer discounted interest rates. For more information, see these bank websites: