Skip to main content

Ngā āwhina tono inihua ki te tapitapi me te whakahou i tō whenua

Help with insurance claims to repair and rebuild your property

General insurance claims

Assessing your insurance claim

Contact your insurance company for any damage after a natural disaster, including extreme weather.

Your insurer will assess your claim, including cover for earthquake damage, for damage to residential land or property that is a direct result of the event.

Your insurer will handle this process for you as your single point of contact.

Insurance claim settlement times

Most vehicle and contents insurance claims can be settled relatively quickly. Other types of claims, such as for damaged homes or insured residential land, may take longer depending on how complex they are.

Complexities may include:

  • time required for the property to dry out
  • the scale of assessment required
  • land damage
  • safety concerns.

Completing work that has been approved

Building, rebuilding and repairing properties after an extreme weather event may take longer than normal.

Buildings might need to be stripped. They also need to be dry before they can be re-lined and repaired.

Most of the time, significant building work takes months to complete and rebuilding of a property often takes over a year.

Temporary accommodation cover

Most house and contents insurance policies include temporary accommodation benefits.

The amount of money you will be paid and how long you will be covered for depends on your policy.

Talk to your insurer to understand what cover you have and what it can be used for.

Temporary accommodation benefits in house and contents policies

You can read about the temporary accommodation benefits on the Insurance Council of New Zealand website.

Concerns about moving back to your home

Contact your insurer if you are worried about moving back to your home and would like to wait before completing your settlement.

Residential land damage

Your insurer will manage any claim related to insured residential land damage as a result of a natural disaster. This includes Earthquake Commission Cover (EQCover) for residential land claims.

EQCover claims for residential land damage can be more complex and take longer to settle than other types of insurance claims.

See why and what is typically involved in the Information sheet: EQCover claims for Storm, Flood, and Landslip Damage.

New Zealand Claims Resolution Service (NZCRS)

The NZCRS helps homeowners with insurance claims after natural disasters.

It is a free and independent service that provides residential homeowners with:

  • expert advice
  • case management support
  • access to legal, technical, and well-being services.

If you have concerns about your claim or are unsure about the process, contact the NZCRS on 0508 624 327, email or visit

 Related topics



Financial help for recovery from a disaster help for recovery from a disasterLearn about the financial support that is available to Aucklanders after an extreme weather event.aspxEnvironment consultation Civil defence
Ways you can help you can helpLearn about different ways you can help following weather events in Auckland.aspxEnvironment consultation
Help for businesses to recover after a natural disaster for businesses to recover after a natural disasterLearn about the support available to Auckland business owners.aspxCivil defence Environment consultation
Help with accommodation for disaster-affected people with accommodation for disaster-affected peopleFind out what housing help you can get after a natural disaster.aspxEnvironment consultation Civil defence
Help with mental health after a natural disaster with mental health after a natural disasterLearn about mental health help that is available following an extreme weather event.aspxEnvironment consultation
Community recovery updates recovery updatesFind out what you need to know if you are a resident of Karekare, Muriwai or Piha.aspxCivil defence Environment consultation