He Kōrero mō te tira kāwana
About the Governing Body
What is the Governing Body?
The Governing Body is a decision making body, made up of the mayor and
20 ward councillors.
Auckland Council's governance is shared between the Governing Body and
21 local boards.
What the Governing Body does
The Governing Body focuses on Auckland-wide, strategic decisions, making the most of the council's size and ability to deliver across Auckland.
The Governing Body is responsible for:
- preparing and adopting the 10-year budget (long-term plan (LTP), annual budget (annual plan) and annual report
- setting rates and bylaws
- decision-making on regulatory matters and on Auckland-wide non-regulatory matters
- setting strategies, policies and plans, including the Auckland plan and the Unitary plan
- the governance of council-controlled organisations (CCOs)
- consulting with and considering the views of local boards before making a decision which affects the communities in the local board area, or the responsibilities or operations of the local board
- negotiating a local board agreement with each local board
- monitoring and reviewing the performance of the organisation.
All councillors are members of the Governing Body.
See a list of ward councillors
Team Leader Governance Advisors
09 890 8152 or 021 704 850
Powers of the Governing Body
The Governing Body Terms of Reference set out which powers can be delegated to committees and which are retained by the Governing Body.
Meeting rules and procedures
The Standing Orders of the Governing Body outline the rules and procedures for meetings of the Governing Body.
|Local elections 2022 official results||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/elections/elections-2022-results||Local elections 2022 official results||View the results for all positions in the Local elections 2022.||aspx||Elections|
|Local elections||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/elections||Local elections||Information about the 2022 local elections.||aspx|
|Council-controlled organisations||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/about-auckland-council/how-auckland-council-works/council-controlled-organisations||Council-controlled organisations||Find out about Auckland Transport, Auckland Unlimited, Panuku Development, Ports of Auckland, Watercare, legacy CCOs and the CCO governance manual.||aspx||Council-controlled organisations|
|Committees||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/about-auckland-council/how-auckland-council-works/governing-body-wards-committees/committees||Committees||Find out about out our governing body's various committees.||aspx||Organisations and bodies|
|Wards||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/about-auckland-council/how-auckland-council-works/governing-body-wards-committees/wards||Wards||About wards, how to find your ward, a list of all wards, and ward councillors.||aspx||Wards|
|Independent Māori Statutory Board||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/about-auckland-council/how-auckland-council-works/kaupapa-maori/Pages/independent-maori-statutory-board.aspx||Independent Māori Statutory Board||Find out what the role of the Independent Māori Statutory Board is.||aspx||Independent Maori Statutory Board|
Is the information on this page helpful?
To ask for help or report a problem with our services or facilities, contact us.