What the draft plan covers
The draft plan covers key operational projects for the coming financial year and how we will carry out the day-to-day maintenance of the Tūpuna Maunga under the direction of the Tūpuna Maunga Authority.
It is instrumental in ensuring clear and collaborative decision-making by the Tūpuna Maunga Authority and Auckland Council.
Included in the draft plan is a programme of works that has been organised along the following themes:
- Mana Aotūroa/Cultural and heritage
- Mauri Pūnaha Hauropi/Ecology and biodiversity
- Mana Hononga Tangata /Living connection
- Whai Rawa Whakauka /Economic and commercial
- Mana Whai a Rēhia /Recreational.
Access to the Tūpuna Maunga
The access times to the Tūpuna Maunga are:
- Summer opening hours: 7am-8.30pm
- Winter opening hours: 7am-7pm.
Season changes align to daylight savings.
More information around access is available on the Changes to vehicle access to the Tūpuna Maunga page.
Leases on the Tūpuna Maunga
If you have any questions regarding your lease on the maunga please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events on the Tūpuna Maunga
The Tūpuna Maunga Authority is the decision-maker for all applications for events on the Tūpuna Maunga.
Under the Ngā Mana Whenua o Tāmaki Makaurau Collective Redress Act, the Maunga Authority must, in making such decisions, have regard to:
- the spiritual, ancestral, cultural, customary, and historical significance of the maunga to Ngā Mana Whenua o Tāmaki Makaurau; and
- the maunga being held by Mana Whenua for the common benefit of Ngā Mana Whenua o Tāmaki Makaurau and the other people of Auckland.
To respect these values, the potential impact of all proposed events on the Tūpuna Maunga will be considered by the Maunga Authority.
If you are considering undertaking an event on one of the 14 Tūpuna Maunga, an event permit is required.
An “event” is defined as any organised event on the maunga that has event related infrastructure and/or more than 50 people. This includes community picnics and ceremonies.
To enquire about the event categories, permitting timeframes and fees and to apply for an event permit please email
Filming on the Tūpuna Maunga
A filming and/or commercial still photography permit is required for filming and commercial still photography on the maunga regardless of nature, scale and location.
To apply for a filming or photography permit and enquire about the permit fee, see
Filming in Auckland.
More information about the Tūpuna Maunga
If you have any questions about any of the information provided on this page, contact: