Tūpuna Maunga Integrated Management Plan
Te Mahere Whakakotahi i ngā Whakahaere mō ngā Tūpuna Maunga
Why we need an integrated management plan for Tūpuna Maunga
Ngā Tūpuna Maunga o Tāmaki Makaurau (Auckland's ancestral mountains) are among the most significant cultural, historical and geological (volcanic) landscapes in the region and are iconic taonga.
They are sacred to Mana Whenua as taonga tuku iho (treasures handed down the generations). Local communities also have a strong emotional connection with, and draw a sense of identity from, the Tūpuna Maunga.
Following the return of 14 Tūpuna Maunga to Ngā Mana Whenua o Tāmaki Makaurau (the mana whenua tribes of Auckland) in 2014, the Tūpuna Maunga Authority has produced a single integrated management plan to set the direction for their restoration, protection and management.
Get a copy of Tūpuna Maunga Integrated Management Plan (IMP)
Proposed Tūpuna Maunga Authority Integrated Management Plan Strategies
The Tūpuna Maunga Authority welcomes public feedback on the Proposed Tūpuna Maunga
Integrated Management Plan Strategies.
The Strategies are the next level of substantive policy development for the Tūpuna Maunga
(ancestral mountains) of Tāmaki Makaurau / Auckland and give effect to the Values and
Pathways in the Tūpuna Maunga Integrated Management Plan 2016.
The Proposed Strategies can be viewed below and in hardcopy at local libraries and Auckland Council Service Centres from 6 July to 16 August 2019.
Please email your submission by 5pm 16 August 2019 to MaungaStrategies@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz
All written feedback will be considered by the Tūpuna Maunga Authority (there are no in-person hearings).
Values and pathways
The plan outlines the long-term vision for the Tūpuna Maunga and sets out values and pathways to achieve an integrated outcome for all the maunga.
- Values provide the framework for the tika approach to caring and protecting the maunga.
- Pathways elaborate on and give tangible expression to the values. They are guiding principles and objectives that set the direction the Tūpuna Maunga Authority proposes for protecting and caring for the maunga and they provide a framework for future decision-making.
The values are:
- Mana Aotūra/Cultural and heritage
- Takotoranga Whenua/Landscape
- Mauri Pūnaha Hauropi/Ecology and biodiversity
- Mana Hononga Tangata/Living connection
- Whai Rawa Whakauka/Economic and commercial
- Mana Whai a Rēhia/Recreational.