Skip to main content
Water restrictions Restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater restrictions

Free advice before submitting a consent application

He Āwhina kore utu i mua i te tono whakaaetanga

If you're planning a development, subdivision or building that may need a consent or permit, talk to us before submitting your application.

Why you should talk to us

Early discussions with us will help you make informed decisions about your application and avoid unnecessary processing delays.

For simple enquiries, we offer up to 15 minutes of free assistance at our service centres listed in the table below, where you can speak to an expert about your project.

We also offer this service over the telephone for those who can't come to one of our offices.

Appointments for free advice

You should know

Free planning advice is currently being offered by phone only. Call our planning team on 09 301 0101.

Free development engineer and building consent advice is still being offered in person. You'll still need to book by calling us on 09 301 0101.


More specific enquiries

For more specific enquiries, we offer individually tailored pre-application guidance, where you can discuss your proposal with the relevant staff.

We do charge for the pre-application guidance service. 

 Related topics



What is a consent and do I need one? is a consent and do I need one?Find out what a resource consent and a building consent are, and how to check if you need one.aspx
Auckland Design Manual Design ManualThe Auckland Design Manual provides objective criteria and context for making your design decisions.aspx
Building site management site managementFind out how to manage risks like toxic material and exposed soil on a building site. aspx
Engage a professional to help with your consent application or project a professional to help with your consent application or project The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website has information about getting professional help to prepare your resource consent application. aspx
Pre-application guidance guidanceFind out what our pre-application guidance includes and what happens after you request it.aspx
Project Information Memorandum (PIM) Information Memorandum (PIM)Find out how to order a Project Information Memorandum (PIM) and what it contains.aspx