Skip to main content

Pīratia tētahi whakataunga whakaaetanga hanganga

Appeal a building consent decision

How to appeal a building consent decision

Make a formal complaint

If you are unhappy with our decision on you consent or your problem has not been resolved, you can make a formal complaint.

Complain through the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)

If your complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction through our complaints process, then you can complain about a building consent authority through the MBIE.

Apply for a determination

If no one can agree on whether building work complies with the Building Code or we make a This decision you disagree with, you may be able to apply for a determination

A determination is a legally binding ruling made by MBIE.

How a determination is reached

Determinations can look at whether a building or building work complies with the Building Code. They can apply to building work that is planned, partly done or complete.

MBIE takes a detailed look at the specific matter and makes a legally binding decision. The law that covers determinations is set out in the Building Act 2004 (sections 176-190).

A determination can be appealed to the District Court.

Find out more about determinations

See the information about determinations on the MBIE website.

Our tip

You could also read about previous determinations on the MBIE website. Some of them might be about a situation like yours.

 Related topics



Resource consent appeals and objections consent appeals and objectionsRead about resource consent conditions, how to object to a decision on a resource consent and how to appeal to the environment court. aspxResource consents
Tracking the progress of your consent application the progress of your consent applicationFind out how to track the progress of your consent application.aspxBuilding and consents
Pay a consent invoice a consent invoiceFind out how to pay a building consent, resource consent or regulatory engineering invoice.aspxBuilding consents
Request a building consent fee refund a building consent fee refundIf you believe that we owe you money related to your building consent or building inspections, you can request a refund. Find out how here.aspxBuilding and consents
How we assess your building consent application we assess your building consent applicationFind out what steps are involved in processing your building consent application.aspxBuilding consents
Complaints and building fines and building finesFind out how to pay or dispute a building fine, and who to contact if you want to report an issue. Also, learn how we ensure compliance.aspxBuilding and consents