Skip to main content
Auckland Council
Water conservation efforts
More How we are reducing water usage across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater conservation efforts

Install wall insulation

Whakauruhia he puru ārai mātao ki ngā pātū

Check if you need a consent

You will need to apply for a building consent if you're installing insulation in:

  • an external wall
  • an internal wall that is a fire separation wall.

You don't need a building consent or a resource consent for any other insulation projects.

Our tip

If you need help to determine if an internal wall is a fire separation wall, contact us.

​Injected wall insulation

Building consent is required where external walls are to be injected with a wet insulation - e.g. expanding foam.

​Place a record of exempt work on your property file

Your building work must comply with the Building Code, even if no building consent is needed.

You can place a record of work you believe to be exempt, on your property file.

 ​In person

Bring the completed AC2111 Record of exempt building work form and supporting documents to one of our service centres (nearest to the address of your property), and pay by:

  • cash
  • cheque
  • Eftpos
  • MasterCard or Visa.

 By post

Send the completed AC2111 Record of exempt building work form, supporting documents and cheque payment to:

Auckland Council
Private Bag 92300
Auckland 1142

Fee for placing a record of exempt work on your property file


Read fee table.
Service Fee
Receiving third party reports or any other information to place on a property file$250

​Installations without building consent

In order to verify that the installed items are safe to be used and complies with the New Zealand Building Code, you will need to:

 Related topics