Skip to main content
COVID-19 information For all COVID-19 information, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website at
Visit OurAuckland to learn about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19
Get the latest information about council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 information
Auckland Council

Certify the specified systems in your building

Whakatūturuhia ngā pūnaha ake kei tō whare

Why you have to certify the systems in your building

Make sure that the specified systems you have installed in your building are in good working order so that the building is safe for the public and occupants to use.

You should know

You need to make sure that people can use your building without any risk to their health and safety.
  • If you use or permit the use of a building that is not safe or sanitary or has inadequate means of escape from fire, you will commit an offence. This offence carries a fine of up to $100,000.
  • If you do not get a compliance schedule, you may have to pay a maximum fine of $20,000 and a further $2000 for every day if you continue to offend.

We can also issue instant fines ranging from $250 to $1000.

Contact us if you are unsure whether you need a compliance schedule.

How and when to certify the systems in your building

You need to apply for:

Compliance schedule

When we are satisfied that all specified systems are functional and fit for purpose, we will issue a compliance schedule with a compliance schedule statement. This statement:

  • is valid for the first 12 months of the buildings' life
  • has to be displayed in a visible location (e.g. reception area) - we need to agree on the location.

After one year, you must replace the statement with a Building Warrant of Fitness (BWOF).

Changes to compliance schedule

If you make any changes to the compliance schedule, you will need to apply to amend it.

When you can get interim compliance schedule

If you want the public to use one part of your building (and we have already issued a building consent), you can apply for a Certificate for Public Use (CPU).

In that case, we will issue an interim compliance schedule to confirm that:

  • the systems in that part of the building are fully functional, and
  • the building is safe to use.

If you want to occupy the area of the building that is not open to the public, the area must be compliant and fit for purpose.

 Related topics