Apply for a new stormwater connection
Tono mō tētahi hononga pininga marangai hōu
What you need to know before you apply for a new stormwater connection
You need to apply for a new stormwater connection and include it in an existing building consent.
A building consent is needed because as-built private plans for the property need to be updated to reflect the changes.
If you don't have an existing building consent application, you will have to apply for one at the same time.
You will also need written permission from the property owner if the pipe runs through another property.
All connections must comply with the Building Act and the
Stormwater Code of Practice.
You will need to apply for a separate stormwater connection for any subsequent connections.
How to apply for a new stormwater connection
Send your completed application form, supporting documents and cheque payment to:
Private Bag 92300
Bring your completed application form and supporting documents to one of our service centres, and pay by:
- MasterCard or Visa (a convenience fee of 1.75 per cent of your payment amount applies).
What happens next
We process new stormwater connection approvals within 20 working days.
- We will let you know the decision by email and post.
- If your application is accepted, we will send an invoice with the letter. You need to pay the fees before you receive the connection consent.
- Find a registered plumber or drainlayer to do the connection. To find a registered plumber or drainlayer, visit the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board website.
- When the work is complete, we will inspect it to check that it meets all conditions of the connection consent.
Stormwater connection inspections
When your registered plumber and drainlayer completes the work, you will need to book an inspection to check that all the conditions of the stormwater connection consent have been met.
Our Development Engineer Stormwater Inspectors carry out all stormwater connection inspections.
We need a minimum of 24 hours notice before we can inspect a stormwater connection.
How to book an inspection
Phone us on 09 301 0101, Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 5pm, to arrange a site inspection.