Skip to main content
Auckland Council

Apply for a new stormwater connection

What you need to know before you apply for a new stormwater connection

You need to apply for a New Stormwater Connection and include it in an existing building consent.

If you don't have an existing building consent application, you will have to apply for one at the same time.

You need a building consent because as-built private plans for the property need to be updated to reflect the changes.

Our tip

You will need to apply for a separate stormwater connection for any subsequent connections.

​Application fees

We assess the cost at the time of application. The final cost depends on the complexity and nature of the application.

Read fee table.

Our tip

Inspection costs are included in the building consent application. You need to pay your own registered plumber and drainlayer.

​How to apply for a new stormwater connection

 By post

​Send your completed application form, supporting documents and cheque payment to:

Auckland Council
Private Bag 92300
Auckland 1142

 In person

​Bring your completed application form and supporting documents to one of our service centres, and pay by:

  • cash
  • cheque
  • Eftpos
  • MasterCard or Visa (a convenience fee of 1.75 per cent of your payment amount applies).

​What happens next

We process new stormwater connection approvals within 20 working days.

We will let you know the decision by email and post.

Stormwater connection inspections

When your registered plumber and drainlayer completes the work, you will need to book an inspection to check that all the conditions of the stormwater connection consent have been met.

Our Development Engineer Stormwater Inspectors carry out all stormwater connection inspections.

Our tip

We need a minimum of 24 hours notice before we can inspect a stormwater connection.

​How to book an inspection

Phone us on 09 301 0101, Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 5pm, to arrange a site inspection.

 Related topics