Connect your pipes to the stormwater network
Honoa ō paipa ki ngā kōtuinga wai āwha
You can connect your private stormwater pipes to the public stormwater network by applying for a connection.
What you will need to apply for a connection
- A completed application for a stormwater connection (included in a building consent application).
- A building consent, unless there is an existing consent application.
- Written permission from the property owner if the pipe runs through another property.
- Engineering approval, depending on the size of the project.
For more information, contact us and ask for a duty engineer to process your application.
You need to request a separate engineering approval if your proposed connection:
- is public
- crosses into the road corridor
- changes the public stormwater network.
All connections must comply with the Building Act and the Stormwater Code of Practice.
See Types of engineering approvals.
- We will send you a letter stating whether your application has been accepted or declined.
- If your application is accepted, we will send an invoice with the letter. You need to pay the fees before you receive the connection consent.
- Find a registered plumber or drainlayer to do the connection. To find a registered plumber or drainlayer, visit the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board website.
- When the work is complete, we will inspect it to check that it meets all conditions of the connection consent. All connections must follow the Building Act and the Stormwater Code of Practice.
|What you should keep out of the stormwater drain||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/stormwater/Pages/keep-out-of-stormwater-drain.aspx||What you should keep out of the stormwater drain||Help keep our waterways clean through simple daily practices. Avoid putting chemicals, rubbish and contaminants into stormwater drains. ||aspx|
|Missing, dislodged or damaged manhole cover||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/stormwater/Pages/missing-dislodged-damaged-manhole-cover.aspx||Missing, dislodged or damaged manhole cover||Report missing, dislodged or damaged manhole covers, grilles and other stormwater assets urgently. Displaced assets pose a threat to public safety. ||aspx|
|How we manage stormwater||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/stormwater/Pages/how-we-manage-stormwater.aspx||How we manage stormwater||We manage stormwater as it flows through public and private pipes, drains, streams and channels to reduce flooding and prevent the pollution of our waters. ||aspx|