Connect your pipes to the stormwater network
Honoa ō paipa ki ngā kōtuinga wai āwha
You can connect your private stormwater pipes to the public stormwater network by applying for a connection.
What you will need to apply for a connection
- A completed application for a stormwater connection (included in a building consent application).
- A building consent, unless there is an existing consent application.
- Written permission from the property owner if the pipe runs through another property.
- Engineering approval, depending on the size of the project.
Send your completed application form, supporting documents and cheque payment to:
Private Bag 92300
Bring your completed application form and supporting documents to one of our service centres
, and pay by:
- MasterCard or Visa.
For more information, contact us and ask for a duty engineer to process your application.
You need to request a separate engineering approval if your proposed connection:
- is public
- crosses into the road corridor
- changes the public stormwater network.
All connections must comply with the Building Act and the Stormwater Code of Practice.
See Types of engineering approvals.
What happens next
- We will send you a letter stating whether your application has been accepted or declined.
- If your application is accepted, we will send an invoice with the letter. You need to pay the fees before you receive the connection consent.
- Find a registered plumber or drainlayer to do the connection. To find a registered plumber or drainlayer, visit the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board website.
- When the work is complete, we will inspect it to check that it meets all conditions of the connection consent. All connections must follow the Building Act and the Stormwater Code of Practice.
|Apply for a new stormwater connection||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/stormwater/Pages/apply-new-stormwater-connection.aspx||Apply for a new stormwater connection||Find out how to apply for a new stormwater connection, what you need to know before you apply and what kind of inspection you need to book.||aspx|
|Design of the stormwater system||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/stormwater/Pages/design-of-stormwater-system.aspx||Design of the stormwater system||The stormwater system has to meet design standards that reduce environmental impacts, flood risk, maintenance costs and other guidelines. ||aspx|
|Entering the public stormwater network||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/stormwater/Pages/entering-public-stormwater-network.aspx||Entering the public stormwater network||If you are building or making repairs, you may need access to the stormwater network. This includes any maintenance work, cleaning, CCTV and inspection.||aspx|
|Stormwater risks, requirements and responsibilities||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/stormwater/Pages/stormwater-risks-requirements-responsibilities.aspx||Stormwater risks, requirements and responsibilities||Find out about what risks and responsibilities developers have relating to stormwater.||aspx|
|Stormwater forms and guides||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/stormwater/Pages/stormwater-forms-and-guides.aspx||Stormwater forms and guides||Find tips on how to take care of your stream and how to manage overland flow. Get application forms and best practice guides. ||aspx|
|Discharging stormwater under our Network Discharge Consent (NDC)||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/stormwater/Pages/discharging-stormwwater-under-ndc.aspx||Discharging stormwater under our Network Discharge Consent (NDC)||If you are planning a development we may be able to authorise the discharge of stormwater under our regional Network Discharge Consent (NDC).||aspx|