Skip to main content
Auckland Council

Check if you can subdivide your property

Tirohia mena ka āhei koe ki te wāwāhi i tōu ake whenua

Subdividing your property can be a long and expensive process. Get professional advice before you apply for a subdivision consent.

Where to start

To check if you can subdivide your property, start by finding out the zone for your property.

We can give you some general information about subdivision if your property is zoned:

Our tip

Get pre-application guidance in the first instance, for information relating to business, commercial or rural subdivision.

What you need to consider

Your subdivision resource consent application will be subject to extra steps, compared to other resource consent applications.

Get an idea of overall costs

The subdivision of one residential property into two lots can vary significantly in cost due to a range of factors, in particular infrastructure issues.

Generally, the average two-lot subdivision can cost around $120,000 - $150,000 for an approved consent, a new certificate of title, professional fees and other requirements.

These costs will likely include:

  • consent processing costs
  • development contribution fees
  • infrastructure connections (water, power, communication etc.)
  • driveways and access
  • professional fees (surveyors, planners, lawyers, engineers etc.)
  • Land Information New Zealand fees.

Engage a licensed surveyor

Engage a surveyor to get an idea of overall costs, how long the whole subdivision process will take and what's involved.

Surveyors can help with:

  • drafting a subdivision design for your property
  • Auckland Unitary Plan rules
  • site specific zoning
  • clarifying the need for stormwater, wastewater, sewer connections
  • identifying power, water, phone connections
  • vehicle access
  • providing a detailed breakdown of all subdivision costs associated with subdividing your section from the design, consent and development stages through to the issuing of new titles.

How you will use your subdivided property

Before starting, you should consider whether you intend to:

  • subdivide the land (only) to sell
  • build a new house on the subdivided land to sell
  • build an additional house on the subdivided land for family use, or as an investment
  • subdivide a piece of land where houses already exist, or a land use consent has been granted enabling new houses to be built.

Depending on your intentions, in addition to a subdivision consent you may need additional land use resource consents and building consents before you can start your building work.

Services in your subdivided property

New sites created by subdivision will need to be serviced to make sure:

  • there is suitable vehicle access
  • wastewater and stormwater can be adequately managed
  • water, telecommunications and power connections can be created.

You should include the costs of installing this infrastructure into your calculations.

Before construction can begin, you may need to apply for engineering approvals.

Development contributions

It is also likely that you will need to pay development contribution fees to us.

Use our development contribution fee estimator to calculate a rough estimate of the development contribution fees that will apply to your subdivision.