Skip to main content
COVID-19 information For all COVID-19 information, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website at
Visit OurAuckland to learn about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19
Get the latest information about council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 information
Auckland Council

Written approval of affected persons

Ngā whakaaetanga ā-tuhi a te hunga whai pānga

When we assess a resource consent application, we consider whether people may be adversely affected by the activities proposed in the application. If you are identified as an affected person, you may be approached by the applicant for written approval.

Getting approval

If there are people that may be affected by your resource consent proposal, consider getting their written approval before you lodge your application with us.

When you approach people to ask for their written approval, take a copy of the information and plans you use in the proposal for them to look over.

If you get written approval from affected parties, we will not consider the effects of your project on these people when deciding whether to notify your consent. This may mean you can avoid the need for notification and a hearing.

To check who we would identify as being affected by your project, you can request pre-application guidance to discuss this. 

For more information, see the consultation for resource consent applicants guide on the Ministry for the Environment website.

​Giving your approval to a resource consent

When considering a resource consent application, we consider the effects of a proposal on the surrounding environment and any effects on people. 

If you are likely to be affected by a proposed activity you may be approached by the consent applicant, or someone acting on their behalf, to ask for your written approval of their proposed activity. 

You need to understand why they are asking for your approval, and what effects the proposed activity will have on you and your property. 

If you do give your written approval:

  • the adverse effects on you will not be considered when we decide whether to notify the application, or to grant or decline the application
  • you can’t appeal the decision after the resource consent has been approved or issued.

If you’re unsure if you should provide written approval, you should get independent advice from a professional, e.g. a planner or lawyer.

Read the useful guide on the Ministry for the Environment website, which outlines everything you need to know about your rights as an affected person.

 Related topics