Skip to main content
COVID-19 information For all COVID-19 information, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website at
Visit OurAuckland to learn about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19
Get the latest information about council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 information
Auckland Council

Appeal a building consent decision

Pīratia tētahi whakataunga whakaaetanga hanganga

How to appeal a building consent decision

Make a formal complaint

If you are unhappy with our decision on you consent or your problem has not been resolved, you can make a formal complaint.

Complain through the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)

If your complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction through our complaints process, then you can complain about a building consent authority through the MBIE.

Apply for a determination

If no one can agree on whether building work complies with the Building Code or we make a This decision you disagree with, you may be able to apply for a determination

A determination is a legally binding ruling made by MBIE.

How a determination is reached

Determinations can look at whether a building or building work complies with the Building Code. They can apply to building work that is planned, partly done or complete.

MBIE takes a detailed look at the specific matter and makes a legally binding decision. The law that covers determinations is set out in the Building Act 2004 (sections 176-190).

A determination can be appealed to the District Court.

Find out more about determinations

See the information about determinations on the MBIE website.

Our tip

You could also read about previous determinations on the MBIE website. Some of them might be about a situation like yours.

 Related topics