Get a licence to keep two or more dogs on a property
Whai raihana mō te tiaki e rua kurī neke atu rānei i te wāhi kotahi
You may need a licence to keep more than one dog on your property for longer than 14 days, even if you don't own the dogs. Your property will need to be suitable for keeping multiple dogs.
Two or more dogs
You need a licence to have more than one dog if you live in:
- central Auckland
- Waitākere, if your property is less than 600 square metres.
Three or more dogs
You need a licence to have more than two dogs if you live in:
- Hauraki Gulf islands
- North Shore
- urban Rodney (if you're not sure if your property is urban or rural,
- Waitākere, if your property is between 600 and 2000 square metres
If you live in Waitākere and your property is over 2001 square metres, you can keep as many dogs as you like.
For details of the rules, see the
Dog Management Bylaw.
Apply for a licence
Read fee table.
|Licence to keep two or more dogs||$44|
Post the completed form and a cheque to:
Private Bag 92300
Bring the completed form to any of our
You can pay by:
- credit card (MasterCard or Visa).
What happens next
One of our animal management officers will visit your property and assess if it meets the conditions.
We will also check for any complaints about dogs barking or howling on your property.
When you need to apply again
Once you have the licence, you need to apply for a new one only if you:
- move to a different property
- want more dogs than allowed on the licence.