Te pēheatanga ki te tono mō te Responsible Dog Owner Licence (RDOL)
Apply for a Responsible Dog Owner Licence (RDOL)
We recognise and reward responsible and caring dog owners by issuing an RDOL to dog owners who satisfy a set of criteria.
Who qualifies for an RDOL?
You have to meet all criteria to get an RDOL:
- You will need to pass a written test of your dog ownership knowledge.
- You will have been a registered dog owner in New Zealand for 12 months or more before applying.
- You have registered your dog on time for the current registration year.
- You haven't had any substantiated abatements, seizures or infringements under the Dog Control Act 1996 for the previous 12 months.
- Your dog has not been the subject of a substantiated complaint or impoundment under the Dog Control Act 1996 for the previous 12 months.
- If you have more than two dogs, you have a licence to keep multiple dogs on your property. See Licence to keep more than two dogs on a property.
You should know
To be eligible for the Responsible Dog Owner License (RDOL) your dog must be registered for the current year. See Renew your registration.
If your RDOL application is successful, the discount will be applied to the next registration year.
How to apply for an RDOL
Complete the application form and take a written test of your dog ownership knowledge.
You need to get 18 out of 20 questions correct to pass the test.
Read our guide to responsible dog ownership before you take the written test.
Get a copy of the guide
Complete the RDOL application form.
Print your completed form and post it to:
Private Bag 92300
Complete the RDOL application form.
Print your completed form and bring it to one of our
- The personal information you provide on this form will be used to process your RDOL application.
- We will hold your information but not disclose it to any third party.
- You have the right to access and correct any personal information that you provide.
It takes 10 working days to process RDOL applications.
Let us know of any change of your details, address or dog ownership, to avoid delays.
|Discount for Responsible Dog Owner Licence (RDOL) holders||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/dogs-animals/responsible-dog-owner-licence/Pages/discount-rdol-holders.aspx||Discount for Responsible Dog Owner Licence (RDOL) holders||Find out how your RDOL can reduce the cost of your dog registration.||aspx||Dogs|
|Revocation of Responsible Dog Owner Licence (RDOL)||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/dogs-animals/responsible-dog-owner-licence/Pages/revocation-rdol.aspx||Revocation of Responsible Dog Owner Licence (RDOL)||We can revoke your RDOL if you fail to meet the criteria.||aspx||Dogs|
|Dog registration fee discounts||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/dogs-animals/register-your-dog/Pages/dog-registration-discounts.aspx||Dog registration fee discounts||Find out what can make your registration fee lower.||aspx||Dogs|
|Dog registration rules||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/dogs-animals/register-your-dog/Pages/dog-registration-rules.aspx||Dog registration rules||Find out what rules apply for registering your dog in Auckland.||aspx||Dogs|
|Register your dog with us for the first time||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/dogs-animals/register-your-dog/Pages/register-dog-first-time.aspx||Register your dog with us for the first time||Use this form to register a new dog or if you have moved to Auckland from another district.||aspx||Dogs|
|Renew registration for your dog||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/dogs-animals/register-your-dog/Pages/renew-registration-for-dog.aspx||Renew registration for your dog||Renew your dog registration using the renewal registration form we send in mid-June.||aspx||Dogs|
Is the information on this page helpful?
To ask for help or report a problem with our services or facilities, contact us.