Who qualifies for an RDOL?
You have to meet all criteria to get an RDOL:
- You will need to pass a written test of your dog ownership knowledge.
- You will have been a registered dog owner in New Zealand for 12 months or more before applying.
- You have always registered your dog on time.
- You haven't had any substantiated abatements, seizures or infringements under the Dog Control Act 1996 for the previous 12 months.
- Your dog has not been the subject of a substantiated complaint or impoundment under the Dog Control Act 1996 for the previous 12 months.
- If you have more than two dogs, you have a licence to keep multiple dogs on your property - see
Licence to keep more than two dogs on a property.
How to apply for an RDOL
Complete the application form and take a written test of your dog ownership knowledge.
You need to get 16 out of 20 questions correct to pass the test.