Skip to main content

Ki te tono ki te whakahaere rangahau, ki te kohi kākano, tipu rānei mai tētahi papa ā-rohe

Apply to conduct research or collect seeds or plant materials from a regional park

​Before you start

Check if the park you are applying for is a regional park.

Regional parks include:

  • Ambury Regional Park
  • Atiu Creek Regional Park
  • Awhitu Regional Park
  • Duder Regional Park
  • Mutukaroa-Hamlins Hill Regional Park
  • Hunua Ranges Regional Park
    • Hunua Falls
  • Long Bay Regional Park
  • Mahurangi Regional Park
  • Muriwai Regional Park
  • Omana Regional Park
  • Pakiri Regional Parkland
  • Scandrett Regional Park
  • Shakespear Regional Park
  • Tapapakanga Regional Park
  • Tawharanui Regional Park
  • Tawhitokino Regional Park
  • Te Arai Regional Park
  • Te Rau Puriri Regional Park
  • Waharau Regional Park
  • Waitawa Regional Park
  • Wenderholm Regional Park
  • Whakanewha Regional Park
  • Whakatiwai Regional Park
  • Waitakere Ranges Regional Park
    • Anawhata
    • Arataki
    • Cascade Kauri
    • Cornwallis
    • Huia
    • Karekare
    • Piha
    • Whatipu

If the park you are applying for is not on this list, you will need to Apply for landowner approval.

How to apply

Complete the relevant application form for your activity.

​Call us on 09 3010101 and ask to speak to a senior ranger of conservation if you need to discuss your application.

 By email

​Scan and email your completed application form and supporting documents to

 By post

​Post your completed application form and supporting documents to:

Visitor Experience Team
Parks Services
Auckland Council
Private Bag 92300
Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142

We will contact you if we need more information.

 In person

​Bring your completed application form and supporting documents to one of our libraries with council services.

​What you need to include in your application

You need to include the following with your application form:

  • a map of the activity area
  • a proposal of what you wish to research or collect
  • an assessment of environmental effects - for this, you need to identify:
    • the existing conservation values of the activity area
    • the actual and potential effects of your activity
    • mitigation or avoidance measures for each effect.
  • any copies of your consultation with affected stakeholders
  • a list of all contacted parties/organisations/individuals
  • a health and safety plan
  • an emergency plan.

 Related topics



Driving on beaches on beachesDriving on beaches is not permitted, except for Muriwai or Karioitahi. Find out how to apply for or renew a beach driving permit. aspxBeach driving permit
Protect our kauri trees our kauri treesKauri trees are under the threat of kauri dieback disease. Find out which tracks are currently open or closed and how we can work together to protect our trees.aspx
Auckland regional parks regional parksView a list of the Regional Parks in the Auckland region.aspx
Apply for a permit to run a commercial activity in a regional park for a permit to run a commercial activity in a regional parkHow to apply for a permit, other things you should provide, and how we assess your application. aspxTrading in parks
What you can do about kauri dieback you can do about kauri diebackFind out how you can help prevent the spread of kauri dieback. aspx