Skip to main content
COVID-19 Alert Level 1 Visitors to our buildings should check in using the NZ COVID Tracer app or register manually.
For the current status of council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 Alert Level 1
Water restrictions in Auckland More Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater restrictions in Auckland

Tuku amuamu mō ngā mahi turituri

Complain about noise

COVID-19 noise complaint information

Our noise control staff are attending noise control complaints under Alert Level 2, with COVID-19 risk management practices in place.

Contact the Police via their website if you believe someone is breaching the COVID-19 lockdown rules.

You should know

We will not attend to noise complaints on New Year's Eve from 6pm on 31 December 2020 to 2am on 1 January 2021.

How to complain about noise

09 301 0101

Call us when the noise is happening so we can take action – day or night.

Things you should know before you call:

  • Your name won't be given out.
  • Noise must be coming from a separate address to yours.
  • Some levels of construction noise are allowed during the day – see when construction and maintenance noise is permitted.
  • Noise rules don't apply to unplanned emergency works, like water mains breaks.
  • We can investigate noise from parked cars on private property (alarms, car stereos and engine revving). 

Noise from moving vehicles 

We don't monitor noise from moving vehicles like cars, trains, and aircraft. 

You should: 

What happens when I complain about noise?

When you make a noise complaint, we come out and investigate. This is why you need to make a complaint when the noise is happening.

To judge if the noise is excessive or not, we will consider:

  • volume
  • the time of day
  • the type of noise.

We do not use any monitoring equipment to decide if the noise is excessive. However, we do use sound level meters to assess unreasonable noise. See How do I know if noise is excessive or unreasonable?

If you make a noise complaint between 8am and 8pm (and this complaint is not already escalated or with specific instructions), we may ask you to call back in 30 minutes to confirm the noise is still occurring before we send someone out.

If we find the noise is too loud, we may issue an Excessive Noise Direction (END).

An END notice lasts for 72 hours. If there are more noise complaints during that time, we will visit the site again to determine if the noise is still excessive.

If we find the noise excessive for a second time within 72 hours, the enforcement officer and the police will seize the noise-offending equipment or issue a $500 fine.

 Related topics



Report excessive dog barking excessive dog barkingFind out how you can make a complaint about dog barking and what happens when we receive a complaint about excessive barking.aspx
How to prevent a noise complaint to prevent a noise complaintThings you can do to reduce noise and show consideration for your neighbours. To find out the noise levels permitted in your area, call 09 301 0101.aspx
Western Springs noise monitoring results Springs noise monitoring resultsWe monitor noise generated by speedway meetings and concerts regularly, when events take place. aspx
Get your seized equipment back your seized equipment backWe only return equipment if we are satisfied it will not be used to create further noise problems. Contact us to arrange an interview.aspx
Ongoing problems with noise problems with noiseFor recurring noise problems, call 09 301 0101 during working hours and ask to speak to a compliance noise specialist.aspx
Pay a noise fine a noise fineYou can pay a noise fine online (depending on your location), by post, or in person.aspx