Skip to main content

Ngā tohu whakamahau kei ngā takiwā tāone nui

Veranda signs in metropolitan zones

You can display two types of veranda signs on a premises in this zone:

  • veranda fascia signs (on the board fixed to the outside edge of a veranda)
  • under veranda signs.

You cannot put signs on top of a veranda in a metropolitan zone.

Veranda signs in these zones can only advertise the premises (for example, the business name) and things that you can buy or do on the premises, such as:

  • services
  • goods
  • products
  • activities
  • events.

Rules for veranda signs in metropolitan zones

Veranda fascia signs

  • One sign per premises, with advertising content limited to 50 per cent of the sign.
  • Maximum projection from veranda fascia 30mm if over a council-controlled public place, like a roadway.
  • Minimum clearance from footpath to bottom of the sign 2.7m.
  • Maximum height of the sign 60cm (600mm).

Under veranda signs

  • One sign per 5m of building frontage.
  • Maximum of four signs per business.
  • Maximum depth of the sign 25cm (250mm).
  • Maximum height of the sign 60cm (600mm).
  • Must be a minimum of 5m away from any other veranda sign of the same premises.
  • Mounted at 90 degrees to the wall to which the veranda is attached.
  • Minimum clearance from footpath to bottom of the sign 2.7m.
  • Minimum 50cm (500mm) from front of the fascia.

More information

You can find a full description of the rules in clause eight of the Signs Bylaw 2022.

Find the zone for your premises

You can find out the zone for your premises by searching for your address on Geomaps. Under the results tab on the left hand side of your screen, you will find your property summary including your zone.

You should know

If you want to put up a business sign in scheduled heritage places you will need a resource consent.
Check Geomaps to see if your address is in a historic heritage area. Under the results tab on the left hand side of your screen, you will find your property summary.
If your property is a historic heritage property or in a historic heritage area, you will see this under the heading "Overlays".
Read about historic heritage places in the Auckland Unitary Plan. This will help you determine which historic heritage rules apply to you.

 Related topics



Promotions and displays and displaysIf you want to hand out promotional goods you will need a licence. Meet with us before you apply and view the guidelines for displaying goods on the footpath.aspxDistributing promotional goods licence
Mobile traders tradersFind out where you can trade, work out the costs of a mobile trading licence, apply for or transfer a mobile trading licence, or complain about a mobile trader or market.aspxMobile trading licence Trading in parks Street trading and performance
Apply for a sign approval for a sign approvalFind out how to apply for an approval to a sign rule, how much it will cost, and how we can help you.GuideaspxSigns
Complain about a billboard or sign about a billboard or signReport complaints and safety issues with billboards and signs to us.aspxSigns
Put up a billboard up a billboardIn most situations you will need a resource consent and a building consent to put up a billboard. aspxSigns
Signs Bylaw 2022 Bylaw 2022This bylaw provides for signs that protect people and environment. It includes rules for permanent and temporary signs on private and public property, including sign location, number, size, content and illumination.aspxBylaw Signs